Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-09-2011, 08:02 AM   #1
jenmm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
How to settle my toddler in the evening?

Evenings and nights can be very frustrating...and that's quite the understatement. My ds didn't go to sleep last night till nearly midnight and he fights and pretty much crashes when he falls asleep. Every night is literally a fight. If by some slim chance he falls asleep early (like at 9), he's up bouncing off the walls by 11. No matter what, he's in my bed by 4 am.

I haven't had a good night's sleep since before ds was born. He's 2.5. I'm frustrated, to say the least.

My ds doesn't nap much. He doesn't sleep much. He fights sleep. We've tried bedtime routines. We've tried shower, story, snack. He's still wound. He has endless energy. He's hard to get to settle.

Should we try another quiet evening activity or something? Any other suggestions? Is there something else to help me in the evenings that'll make nights maybe go better?

Advertisement

Old 08-09-2011, 08:20 AM   #2
wlillie
Banned

My Mood:
Re: How to settle my toddler in the evening?

Is he getting a lot of sugar in the afternoon or evening? Can you switch to a lavendar infused bathtime instead of a shower? Can you do a really physical activity about 2 or 3 hours before bedtime and let him run some of the energy off?
wlillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:53 AM   #3
jenmm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlillie View Post
Is he getting a lot of sugar in the afternoon or evening? Can you switch to a lavendar infused bathtime instead of a shower? Can you do a really physical activity about 2 or 3 hours before bedtime and let him run some of the energy off?
When he's home on the weekends, I know his sugar intake and he doesn't get much at all. During the week, when he's at day care, I don't know what he's getting in the afternoon.... Could switch him to a bath, he likes bubble baths. If the weather is nice, we have him help water the garden every evening. Or he rides a bike.

It rained last night....we weren't outdoors in the evening=pent-up energy.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:23 AM   #4
doodah
Registered Users
seller

I would revamp his diet and daily routine. Figure out what exactly is going on at daycare. Does he nap there? Perhaps it is not the right daycare if they are allowing him to get overstimulated, overexhausted each day OR they are not allowing him to get outdoors, have lots of active time. You need to figure out what is right for him because obviously the current situation is not working. He NEEDS more sleep.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:26 AM   #5
AcrossTheUniverse
Registered Users
Formerly: ReiSapphireJade
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah View Post
I would revamp his diet and daily routine. Figure out what exactly is going on at daycare. Does he nap there? Perhaps it is not the right daycare if they are allowing him to get overstimulated, overexhausted each day OR they are not allowing him to get outdoors, have lots of active time. You need to figure out what is right for him because obviously the current situation is not working. He NEEDS more sleep.
I agree. He is probably acting like that because he is overtired and overstimulated. Once you can get him well rested he will actually sleep more and sleep better. BTDT with my oldest. I would suggest changing his diet and his afternoon routine. Also try putting him to bed earlier, like 7-7:30pm.
*i* Loved and Lost (6/12), (9/12), & (2/13) *i*
AcrossTheUniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:56 AM   #6
jenmm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah View Post
He doesn't always nap at daycare, but he has quiet time. He does get active time there in the afternoons. When he was younger, he went to a different daycare. He napped often, but he was a horrible sleeper.

Any diet suggestions? He's very particular and difficult about food.