Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-09-2011, 11:49 AM   #11
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Lullabies?

Really, anything repetitive and soft will do it.

Oh, My Darling Clementine
On Top of Old Smokey (or spaghetti)

I've used 100 Bottles of Beer (changed it to milk or juice or 'aid).

Advertisement

Old 08-09-2011, 01:35 PM   #12
bootiecutie
Registered Users

"paradise" by John Prine, "tender shepherd" from peter pan, "bye bye baby" from annie get your gun... and "go to sleep you weary hobo" which was a camp song.
S, hippy-elitist-turned-semi-redneck mama to DD, 3, expecting #2 10/14/11
bootiecutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:24 PM   #13
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

there's a whole CD collection called 'rock a bye baby' that is classic rock songs redone for babies. There aren't any words on the cd, but if you knew the words, you could sing along.

hubby bought them for DD and we used them a little until the CD player in her room broke. but I didn't particularly like the idea of having music playing all night long anyways (not even counting the fact that it meant I heard them all night on the monitor).

I made up a song to the tune that her mobile plays. That way, when I lay her down, the mobile is just an extension of what mommy was just singing. I don't think it was intentional, but that's what happened.

the words ended up being

nighty night
nighty night
nighty night Miss Magnolia
Momma loves you
Dad adores you
you are our little girl

and then I sing it a second time switching the mom and dad so that she's loved and adored by both of us.

and sometimes I sing it for a gazillion times. but.. I guess since I've been singing the same bedtime song for so long, even when she was really fussy as an infant, she would stop and listen to that song. and usually stopping and listening would give her time to calm down and help her relax enough to fall asleep.

the bedtime stories work the same way. If you try to read something different, she just hits the book and looks around the room. but when you pick up her regular 'every night' story, she stops playing and listens. We have a book downstairs for during the day time that is also the only book she'll stop for during the day. Any other book and she ignores you and pushes it away. I can get her to sit on my lap and listen to that book for as many times through as I feel like reading it.

that's more than asked for.. but some thoughts I had.

Last edited by EmilytheStrange; 08-09-2011 at 02:30 PM.
EmilytheStrange is offline   Reply With Quote