Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-09-2011, 09:37 AM   #11
RedheadMom09
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Best carseat for travel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjordan View Post
Budget?

If you think a diplomat is hard to install, then I'm not sure what you'd consider easy, to be honest. Have you tried it in lots of different cars or is it possibly just difficult in your own car? What is the difficulty with it?
Well, now that you bring that up, maybe the problem is just my car. I have a Toyota FJ and it has the second row passenger doors that open backwards. There is a giant B-pillar as well. So the seat can only go in the center (because the B-pillar would make it impossible to get her in the seat if she was rear-facing on the side) and there's no latch in the center, so it's a seat belt install. Because of the configuration of the car, it it very hard to get in the back seat and do the install.

The main problems are that it takes a lot of work and effort to get the wiggle out of the seat and then I'll get out to look at it through the back window and realize that the seat is tilted to the side and have to try again.

I've installed it in my MIL's Prius using LATCH and it was fairly straightforward. However, both the plane and the shuttle van will be seat belt installs, hence my aversion to taking the Diplomat.

Advertisement

Old 08-09-2011, 12:17 PM   #12
an_aurora
Registered Users

I'm not a big fan of Britax seatbelt installs either, but LATCH is easy as pie. But tilting isn't a big deal at all and it's not a safety issue
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:06 PM   #13
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyfrog View Post
An Evenflo Tribute is similar in size, weight, and around the same price (maybe a little more) than a Scenera BUT way easier to install. At her size though, she may not fit rf in either one for much longer, if she still does. I don't know of a seat that is really light weight that will go rf for an older toddler.
I always forget about the Tribute! Our coalition gives them out at checks and they do install RF much easier than the Scenera.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:08 PM   #14
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

I think your diplomat difficulties are the car, not just the seatbelt, but the whole situation. I'd go for a roundabout55 or a tribute, whichever fits your budget.

Also, airplanes are a lap belt, easy-peasy install for Britax seats. And the shuttle I took from an airport to a hotel actually did have LATCH, so you never know...
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:43 PM   #15
CrazyBoysMamma
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica-m View Post
I always forget about the Tribute! Our coalition gives them out at checks and they do install RF much easier than the Scenera.
Ours too! I really like the tributes. I did a check last week for CHP and gave out a seat...once I got it in I couldn't figure out why it was soooo upright??? After a few minutes of staring at it I realized the retainer clip said Cosco. Duh...CHP still give out Sceneras. I think the parents thought I was a bit slow.

Will you be my Swag friend? Pretty please?http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/CrazyBoysMamma
CrazyBoysMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:32 PM   #16
Soph's Mom
Registered Users

What's CHP?

cloth diapering, baby-led weaning, co-sleeping, babywearing yet fairly non-crunchy momma to DD born at 35 wks 09/10
Soph's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:54 PM   #17
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

California Highway Patrol.

I had heard that they sometimes give away Radians.

All I have seen our coalition give out is Tributes, Chase/Express, Big Kids and Evenflo backless boosters and the occasional Scenera. Before I was a CPST I had never installed an Evenflo seat. Now I have installed tons. I really like the Tribute and I loathe the Discovery.