Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-09-2011, 09:57 AM   #1
myoo
Registered Users

My Mood:
wondering whether to increase # of oz

My almost 5 month old, 18 lb, EBF son goes to a babysitter 3 days a week. He has been taking 3 bottles of 4 oz each pretty consistently. I'm wondering whether I should bump up the volume to 5 oz per bottle just to see how that goes. I know that a bf baby doesn't typically need more milk as they get older, but is there any reason not to see what he thinks of 5 oz? I know the babysitter doesn't push it on him. There are days here or there when he doesn't finish a bottle and she notates that he wasn't very hungry.

I usually pump 15 oz a day, so I have enough unless my supply drops (and I have 200+ oz in the freezer). He is away from me for 10 hours, so I figure he needs 10-15 oz a day and this would put him on the upper end of it.

Would you try 5 oz, or just stick with 4 oz unless the babysitter comments that he seems hungry? He'll be starting solids at 6 months (freaks my babysitter out that we're not starting until then, and even more that I told her we might skip rice cereal).

Advertisement

Old 08-09-2011, 09:59 AM   #2
teacherpippi
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: wondering whether to increase # of oz

If he seems okay with what he's getting, I'd stick with that and build yourself a freezer stash.
teacherpippi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:11 AM   #3
myoo
Registered Users

My Mood:

That's the thing - I'm pretty much out of room in the freezer and I'm tired of freezing milk all the time. I have about 75 bags of milk in there and I've only ever used about two. I'm starting to wonder what I'm going to do with it all!
Old 08-09-2011, 10:23 AM   #4
mommajenn13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

He sounds like he's a good size and he's doing fine with the 4 oz. I wouldn't bump him up. Babies will eat just about however much you'll give them from a bottle, since when they are swallowing it pulls more milk from the nipple, so they have to swallow again. I could have given my baby 8 oz bottles at 2 months old and he would have drank way more than he needed and then spit up everywhere! I say keep the bottles to the smallest amount possible, so they aren't overeating. Then, if they are hungry, they will tell you and you can give them more!

FWIW, my now 14 month old never ate more than 4 oz at a time. I can count on one hand the amount of times he was still hungry after 4 oz and my DH had to give him another oz or two. If he hit a growth spurt, he actually would go down to taking 3 oz bottles, more frequently.

So my opinion is not to bump it up. You don't want to overfeed, and it's so easy to do that with bottles!
Old 08-10-2011, 07:29 AM   #5
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

I agree with the PP. I would not bump it up. My concern would be overfeeding and stretching the stomach. If the stomach stretches, then he will *need* more in order to *feel* full in the future, which leads to more overeating. It also could lead to a problem with you being able to supply enough. And even though you have a ton in the freezer, it could also lead to him being fussy at the breast if he isn't getting enough to feel full there anymore, which then leads to supplementing. I have seen many moms fall down this path, usually due to a daycare provider who is insisting on more and more milk because that's what the formula-fed kids are doing. If your DCP isn't insisting, I would not send bigger bottles. If you really want to send more milk, I would send an extra bottle of the same size instead.