Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-10-2011, 12:16 AM   #11
an_aurora
Registered Users

Re: Would this be a safe choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjordan View Post
I'd bring the chaperone for the 2 yo (assuming his head is no closer than 1" from the top of the shell) and the booster for the 5 yo. OR bring your convertible for the 5 yo (along with a seat for the 2 yo) - load both car seats on a stroller to take them through the airport and use them both on the plane.

I would never, no NEVER use a rental car seat from a car rental place. Well, *maybe* if I personally knew the rental agency employee who was in charge of the car seats, and knew that he/she was a huge CPS advocate, AND he/she was able to assure me of the seat's safety. But I can't imagine that ever happening, so yeah, I'm pretty much back to NEVER using a rental car seat.
What she said

Advertisement

an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:17 AM   #12
an_aurora
Registered Users

I'd use the 2yo's seat on the plane since she'd need her own seat anyway, and since it wouldn't be a big deal to carry an infant seat through the airport.
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:28 AM   #13
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

I'd definitely plan to use a car seat on the plane for the 2 year old. And, for the 5 year old, if you're bringing a convertible then you might as well use it on the plane. If you're bringing the turbobooster then you can take it apart and bring it in a carry-on.

It sounds to me like the 5 year old would probably be just fine in the booster, but if you'd rather use a harnessed seat for your peace of mind, then go for it. If you're going to have any long car rides where sleeping is a possibility, then that would tip the scales toward the harnessed seat.
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:53 AM   #14
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:

You're not supposed to check car seats either because they can get damaged (or lost even!).
USMCgirl_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:38 AM   #15
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

Kids generally do not fit well in an airplane lap belt until they are 40+lbs. If your 2 year old is tiny enough to fit in a Chaperone still, they are much too small to be in just a lap belt on the plane. The FAA recommends that children under 40 lbs be in a child restraint. Checking seats leaves them very vulnerable to damage that you would not know about putting your child at risk of not being protected in an accident. You should really use the Chaperone (or other seat if you change your mind) on the plane for the 2 year old and either bring a booster or a Ride Safer Travel Vest for your 5 year old. The RSTV can be packed in your carry on since it rolls up pretty small. A booster can be carried on and put in the overhead bin and the back of the booster can be packed in a suitcase protected and padded by clothing.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:34 AM   #16
melissardh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle_M View Post
I would ask the rental company:
What brand and model is the rental carseat?
What is height/weight limitations?
How old is it?
Has it ever been in a wreck?
How often do they replace them?

If they answer your questions honestly and you are comfortable with their answers, then I don't see a problem.

HOWEVER, for the biggest peace of mind, just suck it up and bring both carseats.

Good luck.

God bless!
yeah but you could get there and that seat is no longer there if you can trust them to begin with!
i'd bring your chap and the harness reccomended earlier or your 2nd seat and suffer but b safe!
Old 08-10-2011, 12:34 PM   #17
Lanae
Registered Users
Formerly: Lanae~1st time mom
seller

Location: Hawaii-Oahu, DH-Deployment to Iraq, My home state-TN
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCgirl_05
You're not supposed to check car seats either because they can get damaged (or lost even!).
Yep! It's horrible the way they throw them around. My friend thought her's was just fine after checking it in and used it for a couple weeks. I took it from her to clean it up to see about giving it to a needy couple I knew since I knew it had never "been in a wreck". The styrofoam was cracked down the middle... I can only imagine what happened to the plastic. Just reiterated why I dont check my carseat. And her's was well protected and marked "fragile". Doesn't look like that made a bit of difference!

I'm blaming stupid words or sentences on my iPhone since it thinks it's smarter than me!

Last edited by Lanae; 08-10-2011 at 12:39 PM.
Lanae is offline   Reply With Quote