Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-09-2011, 10:03 AM   #1
vintagegyrl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
BF the One-Year Old?

My DS is one and usually takes a nap from 12-2. He sometimes wakes in the middle of the night and is nursed. it might be anywhere from 2-6am or he might sleep thru the night waking around 7 or 8.

If he does not wake in the middle of the night, I nurse him as soon as he wakes in the morning. if he nurses around the 4,5 or 6:00 hour then he just gets breakfast around 8. He is not a HUGE eater usually.

We have lunch around 11:30 and at noon/naptime it seems like he is ready to nurse again. So we settle in to do this. I usually have to get my kiddos occupied - and he'll nurse for anywhere from 20-40 mins. HOWEVER. I had to cut him off today after 40 mins. and he was upset - did not want to nap.

I am wondering if I can stop the nursing to sleep for naptimes but how to go about this when his naptime seems to be the time he needs to nurse again!?

Should I skip this and have him nap following lunch - then nurse at 2 when he wakes? then his next feeding woudl be 8pm @ bedtime. Is this enough?

thanks!

Advertisement

Old 08-09-2011, 10:06 AM   #2
vintagegyrl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: BF the One-Year Old?

I just checked and he is laying in his crib AWAKE! It's like he got a 30 min. nap or something!! his dipe was wet after the feeding, too so had to change him
Old 08-10-2011, 07:35 AM   #3
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagegyrl View Post
I am wondering if I can stop the nursing to sleep for naptimes but how to go about this when his naptime seems to be the time he needs to nurse again!?

Should I skip this and have him nap following lunch - then nurse at 2 when he wakes? then his next feeding woudl be 8pm @ bedtime. Is this enough?
I think that you can try doing the nap right after lunch and then nursing after the nap. That sounds like a good plan. And there is no reason that you have to wait until 8 for his next feeding. I mean, you don't have to eliminate the feeding entirely, you could just move it. So instead of nursing at 12, 2, and 8, you could nurse at 2, 5, and 8.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:31 PM   #4
Swimmingly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm not a lot of help but did want to say that my just turned one year old has just in the past week decided to STOP nursing to sleep. No idea why, I'm doing everything the same, but when she used to nurse for a good 15-20 minutes and then be asleep now she nurses for 10-15 minutes and then wants to read books. I guess my baby is growing up!
Old 08-10-2011, 05:10 PM   #5
Mamma527
Registered Users
seller
seller

My 1 year old no longer wants to nurse to sleep during the day. So I usually just nurse him and then put him in his crib and he fusses for a second and then lays down and goes to sleep.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:14 PM   #6
hpfgirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My ds naps at daycare, so he does not nurse to sleep. When he does nurse, it's 5 min on a side max.

Wam, bam, thank you ma'am.

3T/4T Trainers, and Toddler AIOs for sale.
hpfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:30 PM   #7
luvn_my_boys
Registered Users

My ds still nurses to sleep at bedtime & naptime & sometime for a "drink" during the day! Lol he is 13.5 months old! Sometime when he just wants a drink he will nurse a minute & then look at me & say "good good" its so cute!
Old 08-10-2011, 08:10 PM   #8
Catlynn
Registered Users
seller

My dd just turned a year last month. I'd say she still nurses around 3-4 times a day but I try to not "nurse her to sleep" so that she's not dependent on that in order to sleep. I'll usually nurse her in a different room than the one that she's going to sleep in and then go and put her down. We co-sleep so I'm really not sure how many times she nurses at night.... but she will wake up between 6:30 and 7 and then she eats breakfast around 8-8:30. She will usually go down for nap number one around 2-3 hours after she wakes up and I don't nurse her until after that first nap. (unless she's sick or something) then she usually nurses again around half an hour before her next nap which happens around 3-4 hours later. Other than that it's just whenever she asks for it. It's usually only a 10 minute nursing session though so that's nice. She wants to get back down and play!

I was thinking, for you, maybe try nursing between breakfast and nap time? That way he still gets it but it's not what he needs in order to go to sleep? Then maybe a snack or something when he wakes up (which is usually what dd gets....always eating! hehe) Then he will be satisfied until night time? How many times are you wanting to nurse him during the day?
I'm sure it will all work out. When in doubt I kinda just follow dd's cues and go with the flow. Good luck mama!