Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-09-2011, 02:46 PM   #1
dreamgirl
Registered Users

Donor milk for someone who can't breastfeed...

I'm gathering all the information on this that I can get. I've posted at several places, but it seems like it's not a very knowledgeable subject for people.

I'm a breast cancer survivor, currently 6 months pregnant, and I cannot, obviously, breastfeed I'm super bummed out about this, but I have to move on.

So I'm going back and forth about donor breast milk. Part of me wants to use it, and a part of me is scared about it not being screened.

Also, I'm running into a problem finding a donor in Italy, where I'll be giving birth and staying for the first 3 months of LO's life. I found Human Milk 4 Human Babies International on FB, but quite honestly, I don't want all my facebook friends to see what I'm doing :/

I'm just looking for opinions, stories, etc of people who may have used donor milk and had a good experience/outcome.

Thanks

Advertisement

dreamgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:55 PM   #2
myoo
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Donor milk for someone who can't breastfeed...

Have you checked out milkshare.com? I hope you're able to find some.

ETA: There's a contact e-mail here: http://www.europeanmilkbanking.com/italy.html

Last edited by myoo; 08-09-2011 at 02:58 PM.
myoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:58 PM   #3
Kätzchen
Registered Users
seller

I donated over a hundred thousand ounces of breastmilk when I was breastfeeding my daughter. I had several recipients, the relationship we shared was nothing short of amazing. We wrote through email, shared pictures, it was great. I opted to have testing done every three months, despite being happily married. I had no problem with testing and I knew that it put my already sensitive recipients at ease. :]

Welcome baby Edeltraud! 27-7-2011
Old 08-09-2011, 03:56 PM   #4
dreamgirl
Registered Users

wow myoo, thank you!! I did search around Milkshare, but I never found that! It says it's a milk bank, which might be different from a milk share. A lot of time milk banks are reserved for sick babies. And usually the milk is pasteurized. I'll email them anyway and see

Katzchen, is it pretty normal for the donor to agree to testing?

Last edited by dreamgirl; 08-09-2011 at 03:58 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:01 PM   #5
dreamgirl
Registered Users

I also emailed milkshare.com to ask if there are resources in Italy before I pay to join. I never got an answer. I don't want to pay $20 before I know whether there are any options in Italy or not. :/

huh. I was just able to register to look for myself, without paying the $20. Weird. I'm pretty sure that option wasn't there a few weeks ago.

Anyway, nothing in Italy. I even did a search. But at least now I know I can pay the $20 to ask anyway because they do have an International forum.

Last edited by dreamgirl; 08-09-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:37 PM   #6
proudmama4
Registered Users
Formerly: jke**y
seller

My Mood:

Have you tried to find just some Italian Moms boards online? You could ask on there. I know milk has been shared on a local moms forum where I live among people who only "knew" each other online. Good luck to you!
Old 08-09-2011, 04:38 PM   #7
proudmama4
Registered Users
Formerly: jke**y
seller

My Mood:

Oh, and maybe search for lactation consultants in Italy too! Contact as many as you can find to see if they might have a resource for you.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:56 PM   #8
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

As a donor, I would agree to testing the recipient wanted, as long as the recipient paid for any tests I hadn't already had. I think donors understand the desire to be sure your baby is going to be safe.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:48 PM   #9
poskozim
Registered Users
seller

I just donated my milk a couple of weeks ago, and I must say, I think it is amazing! I would have the donor tested, or you could have them give you a copy of their prenatal blood work. Also, have you heard of "Eats on Feet"? This is a milk sharing organization, and they may be able to get you some contacts in Italy. Good luck!
poskozim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:17 PM   #10
dreamgirl
Registered Users

I have NOT heard of Eats on Feet. I'll check it out. Thanks!