Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-11-2011, 06:28 AM   #1
hampyfew
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Help! First time dealing with stink...

...in the pail. I started using fitteds and wool at night and the diaper pail (closed) stinks in his room. I have to keep it closed otherwise DS will go digging in it. I rinsed the night time diaper before tossing it in the pail, and when i opened it this morning the ammonia was overpowering. Is this the beginning of ammonia problems?? What can I do? I can't wet pail.

Advertisement

hampyfew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:36 AM   #2
rkw
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Help! First time dealing with stink...

Do you have a deoderizing disk or anything in there? How often do you clean out the pail or do you have a liner. I clean the old fashioned diaper pail out every time I do diapers. I put a splash of vinegar in it and fill it with water. I wash over night and dry in the morning. I empty the water out of the diaper pail in the morning and throw the deoderizing disk back in. They came with the diaper pails so I am not sure where my friend got them. It is an oldfashioned diaper pail that a friend passed down to me. I dry pail and have the lid closed. I also have it in a closet to my son does not push on the foot pedal to open it.
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:03 AM   #3
hampyfew
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's a regular 13gal plastic pail with lid. I wash it out every week. I wash diapers every 2 to 3 days, but this is just from ONE overnight diaper that he wore night before last (had to use a sposie last night). I don't have any discs or anything. And leaving the pail open is not an option since he thinks it's his to play with.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:41 AM   #4
nurse&mom23
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Try rinsing out the morning diapers. I spray mine with bac out and don't rinse any more, but the rinse could do the trick by itself. You could also spray with some diluted vinegar( 1/4 strength) after you rinse.
Could you possibly move the pail so that it is in a place where he can't get to it that easily?
Old 08-11-2011, 07:44 AM   #5
smilewithme
Registered
seller
seller

I agree. Bac out or vinegar can help. I have heard of some CD'ers sprinkling baking soda in their pail too. It can help if you rinse the morning dipes. I hope you find a solution!
Old 08-11-2011, 07:55 AM   #6
fluffycheeks
Registered Users
seller

IS there somewhere else in your home you can put the pail? I have found that leaving it open so it can get a little air works a million times better than any deoderizing disc or baking soda.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:17 AM   #7
hampyfew
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I did rinse that morning diaper out. It was the 2nd night in cloth, and they didn't smell coming off him...but they've never been used over night before so they probably would not smell, kwim? There really is no other place I could leave that pail that would not make it a PITA to toss dirty diapers in. The bathroom is tiny and has no window, we keep the door closed because he gets into everything.