Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-11-2011, 06:36 PM   #41
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: So ticked at 5 year old! Feeling like a bad mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyful Tie Dyes View Post
How many kids under five drown each year? Learning to swim can very well BE a life or death situation. Swim lessons are non-negotiable in my book, they ARE of "extreme importance". You can watch kids all you want but accidents happen. Knowing how to swim saves lives. AT five it is HIGH TIME that he learns to swim. Maybe it's living near the water but it's rare to find a 5 year old here who can't swim.

Many kids don't WANT to go to school either or do math homework but that doesn't mean you can just say "Oh well he doesn't WANT to". I am GLAD my parents pushed me to do things I might not otherwise would have become competent in. It's part of life to learn that sometimes we have to do things we don't want to.
I disagree that swim lessons are of "extreme importance". I do agree that children should be taught to swim, but not that they need to be formal lessons. I was taught to swim by my dad and I swim well. My oldest DS has never had lessons, but he is swimming great at 8 without a formal lesson. Dh and i just expose our children to the water (when our pool is open for 3 months). We also take them to our high school pool to swim when it is free once a week. Kids do need to learn to swim, but I don't think lessons are necessary. Some of the people who teach lessons here are way younger than me and who is better to teach you to swim than your own mom or dad? I also taught him to roller skate, ride a bike, ride a skateboard, etc.

Advertisement