Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-04-2011, 06:52 AM   #1
Lady T
Registered Users

My Mood:
Bottles

DELETE

Advertisement

Last edited by Lady T; 12-07-2011 at 09:22 PM.
Lady T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:24 AM   #2
bcb1961
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Bottles

Honestly, I think there are other factors to bottle feeding a breastfed baby than what bottle you use. The main thing is to feed directly from the breast as much as possible. Here is a great link that gives some more tips: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html
They even have a printout that you can share with your baby's care providers, which I will definitely be using with my next baby. That being said, we used Playtex Drop Ins last time, and I plan on using Breastflow next time.
bcb1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:09 AM   #3
Lady T
Registered Users

My Mood:

DELETE

Last edited by Lady T; 12-07-2011 at 09:22 PM.
Lady T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:49 AM   #4
bcb1961
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yeah, I totally get what you are asking, but the thing is I don't know of any real research that says one bottle is better than another. All the claims that are made are done so by the manufacturer, without really any evidence to back that up. So it is all just speculation as to what is "better" for a breastfed baby. That is why I'm saying that the stuff that we DO know is more important to focus on (like feeding at breast as much as possible, etc).
bcb1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:14 PM   #5
Mamakat1234
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We use Avent and have had no problems. We introduced dd to the bottle when she was about 3 weeks old. Now I give her a bottle about 2-3 times a week just to keep her used to it (she's 5 weeks old). Also, we just bought a pack of the newborn nipples to start, but we were ready to just keep buying different nipples of she didn't take to the Avent ones. Our pediatrician recommended Avent and the Playtex Drop-Ins but I didn't like the idea of having to throw away plastic everytime we fed the baby so we went with Avent.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:21 PM   #6
moobiegirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had the hardest time finding a bottle my newbie would take. He's the first one that we actually had to try several different brands before finding one he would take. We tried: evenflo, breastflo, parents choice, playtex, and finally he liked MAM. So it was hard to find a bottle he would take. I would send him to daycare everyday with new bottle because he didn't drink anything the day before. So I wouldn't get set on a system that you like before the baby tells you what they like.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:06 PM   #7
megs715
Registered Users
seller
seller

I wouldn't worry about which bottle, I'd find one your baby likes. My dd was a nightmare to get on a bottle when I had to go back to work. I tried all of the breastfeeding type bottles, and the one that finally worked was the medela bpa free ones (the ones that go on the pump). If I were doing it over again, I'd get a few different types and start way, way earlier than 4 months. Took her three months to take a bottle at all, about another month to take one easily.
megs715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:08 AM   #8
Willum'smom
Registered Users
seller

I used the breastflow bottles with DS at about 2 weeks. They were recomended by my lactation consultant because they will not flow without compression AND suction. Normal bottles cause a baby to cover the nipple with their tongue to stop the flow because they flow as soon as they are tipped upside down. This can cause some problems with the baby "spitting out" your nipple. I only worried about it because DS was BARELY breastfeeding at that time and had to be supplimented after every feeding. (I was getting sick of syringe feeding) Once he was breastfeeding like a pro I gave him the Dr. Brown's bottles because I how my baby never has gas when I use them. Just a tip, if you don't think your LO "likes" the bottle have another person offer it. DS fights me if I give him a bottle. He knows I have better "equipment"