Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 08-12-2011, 07:46 AM   #1
Registered Users
Moving dd to a toddler bed.....I'm scared

So........we have to make the move and put dd in a toddler bed. This has been a fear of mine for a long time and we have tried to avoid it but it is getting dangerous for her as she is crawling out dispite our efforts (putting the mattress completely on the floor and the tallest part of the crib out and sleep sacks).
The reason I am so frightened is that dd is a TERRIBLE sleeper- has been since day 1 she still wakes up multiple times during the night and doesn't sleep while if we co-sleep. The crib was her sanctionary and I know I could leave her there and she would eventually fall asleep. I am worried that she is going to destory her room and worse- hurt herself by climbing on something or just jumping of her mattress.
So help me experience mama's and ease my fears- anyone have any tips?

loveslucylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:43 AM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Moving dd to a toddler bed.....I'm scared

I was surprised by how well the transition went for us. My DD was so excited about getting a big kid bed (we didn't use a toddler bed and went right to a twin) that she was excited to sleep in it! We did make sure to extra child proof her room. There was nothing in there but a basket with a few books her dresser and bed. We put child a child lock on the closet door. We also put a gate in the door way so she had to stay in her room. We learned the hard way to anchor the furniture to the wall. One nap time she pulled the dresser down on top of herself. Fortunately she was fine, but we put in anchors that night!
I hope things go better than you are expecting. Good luck
emconigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:04 AM   #3
Registered Users
Re: Moving dd to a toddler bed.....I'm scared

My DD and DS both did really well with the big girl/boy bed transition. If you can, let her help pick out blankets or sheets or something that helped with my DD. Even if it's from stuff you already have, let her decide what to put on it, where to put it in the room (if you can) let her know this is HER new bed. =) My DD is a bit bossy so she loved being in control, lol.

Also the same as PP, baby gate so she has to stay in her room, and extra kid/baby proof the room so you won't worry as much.
tcat160 is offline   Reply With Quote