Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-12-2011, 11:51 AM   #11
BESMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone's DH resistant to extended breastfeeding

Do you know why he's uncomfortable with it? I would flat out ask him so when you respond you can't specifically address his concern.

Advertisement

Old 08-12-2011, 11:55 AM   #12
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

We are at 21 months now and my DH is proud!
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:24 PM   #13
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolineb View Post
DH says he would rather they get formula and eat more fruits and veggies as kids than to be bf and eat Mac and cheese and nuggets
this sounds like my DH. we were having troubles in the beginning and he said something like "it's such a short time they are on formula" ooook... and they like, quadruple in size, lay down brain structure etc in that "short time"

why can't wee bf AND have veggies!
Old 08-12-2011, 01:05 PM   #14
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

My DH seems to respond better once he is more familiar with things, and what really helps a lot is if he knows other people, people who he likes and otherwise views as "normal", who do it too. So for me, one of the best things has been to socialize with others who are in the same place I am, and expose DH to these people.

Not breastfeeding, but an example. When we were pregnant with our first and discussed circ, DH was pretty much for it under the "that's what people do" type of rationale. Now his two best buds both have babies who are not circed, and DH is now totally comfortable with leaving a boy intact (should we ever have one) because he has been exposed to that now. He just no longer thinks that it's "weird".
Old 08-12-2011, 01:21 PM   #15
jenmm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEVmommy View Post
My DH seems to respond better once he is more familiar with things, and what really helps a lot is if he knows other people, people who he likes and otherwise views as "normal", who do it too. So for me, one of the best things has been to socialize with others who are in the same place I am, and expose DH to these people.
I totally agree!!!! My dh thinks I'm way out in left field cause I cd, ebf, tandem bf, and babywear on occasion. And co-sleep. He doesn't know anybody else that does "those things." Exposure is key!

And stand firm in your beliefs. It'll help make a believer out of your dh.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:48 PM   #16
thtr4me
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well, if your DH is uncomfortable nursing past one year, then maybe he shouldn't be nursing .

Okay, enough of the bad jokes. Just present him with the faqs, and explain to him gently that nursing is between you and the baby, and that as the one with the boobs, this is one decision that you get to make. Ask him for his support in your goal to continue nursing. Maybe the statistics on reduced risks for breast cancer the longer you nurse might help to gently sway his opinion?

And can I say, this is just the funniest smilie?
thtr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:33 PM   #17
triplet-momma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by thtr4me View Post
Well, if your DH is uncomfortable nursing past one year, then maybe he shouldn't be nursing .

Okay, enough of the bad jokes. Just present him with the faqs, and explain to him gently that nursing is between you and the baby, and that as the one with the boobs, this is one decision that you get to make. Ask him for his support in your goal to continue nursing. Maybe the statistics on reduced risks for breast cancer the longer you nurse might help to gently sway his opinion?

And can I say, this is just the funniest smilie?
See I have trouble with that logic because he's the one with the penis and I wouldn't let him make the decision about circ'ing by himself...
Old 08-13-2011, 01:30 AM   #18
eahcapemay
Registered Users
seller
seller

DH gets frustrated because he can't see how much is going into the baby and he can't feed DS himself on the fly. When ever he starts pressuring me to wean I hand him a bottle of my milk...and leave. Right now I do 99% of all feedings. If I ff fed I would expect him to feed DS 50-50. DH doesn't want to deal with a crying baby while he takes 5 minuets to warm up a bottle. He would much rather just hand me DS and a people magazine.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:20 AM   #19
cherrycoke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eahcapemay View Post
When ever he starts pressuring me to wean I hand him a bottle of my milk...and leave. Right now I do 99% of all feedings. If I ff fed I would expect him to feed DS 50-50. DH doesn't want to deal with a crying baby while he takes 5 minuets to warm up a bottle. He would much rather just hand me DS and a people magazine.
I like this. My DH doesn't mind feeding DS, but if I'm home and DS is getting fussy all I hear is, "Oh you want Mommy?"...
Old 08-13-2011, 08:38 AM   #20
newtwinmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrycoke

I like this. My DH doesn't mind feeding DS, but if I'm home and DS is getting fussy all I hear is, "Oh you want Mommy?"...
I EP and this is all I hear! ALL.DAY.LONG.