Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-12-2011, 09:02 AM   #1
kts1120
Registered Users
seller
seller

Please share your storage system

Currently I have all my frozen milk in storage bags with about 4 ounces each. They have nearly taken over our freezer! I also hate that I'm using all these plastic bags. I bought some little tube like, reusable containers, but each one just holds one ounce and I would need to empty them into something (like a plastic bag?) once they are frozen to refill them.

Just wondering how others are storing large amounts of milk.

Advertisement

kts1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:32 AM   #2
jlcohen
Registered Users

My Mood:
With DS1, we had to get a deep freezer for all the over flow. I pumped into storage bags and then had them in plastic shoe boxes in date order in our deep freezer. Buying the deep freezer was totally worth it because we used it for other things once we were done with the milk.

co-sleeping, breastfeeding, baby-wearing, extended rear-facing, cloth diapering, delayed vaccinating, part-time working mama of three sweet peas
jlcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:21 PM   #3
nursemama23
Registered Users
seller
seller

I read on her one time a mama that would pump and then pour the milk into an ice cube tray. These are perfect one ounce portions. She would then (once frozen) put a certain number of the cubes in a ziploc bag and then store these in the freezer. Wish I had thought of this before I bought stock in the little freezer bags!
Old 08-12-2011, 03:35 PM   #4
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Please share your storage system

Green Sprouts makes breastmilk bags!

I have a chest freezer that used to be totally full of 6oz bags, but now it is half gone! And also have a side by side that ONLY has 6oz bags of milk in it too! If the babies were eating only the frozen milk I'd have 2ish months worth!
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:20 PM   #5
223Huntress
Registered Users
seller

Wow, thats alot of milk stored ladies! lol I just use the medela freezer bags, but I dont freeze alot yet. DD is only 3 months old and I stay home so its not needed. I prefer the bags over bottles though bc it thaws so much quicker and more evenly.
223Huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 12:33 AM   #6
hippieintraining
Registered Users
seller

I've started to freeze my bags flat, since I've read they defrost faster (it's true!). So I freeze the bag flat in the freezer above the fridge, and the next day I move it to the deep freeze (or every few days, when I have a bunch of bags). I put a bunch of bags in larger ziplocks and label the big ziplock with the timeframe and amount of bm (Eg. August 1-10, 88oz). I'm hoping to donate most of it, so this makes it easy for me.

I use the bags, but I don't have a brand preference so I buy whatever is cheapest. Nuk usually is

My ISO/IHA
hippieintraining is offline   Reply With Quote