Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-06-2011, 11:33 AM   #1
Tweedledum
Registered Users

How to nurse while pottying?

I'm new to this whole EC thing and am just easing into it. I need some help figuring things out, ladies!

So my 1 month old DS tends to poop twice while nursing. There's not a lot of time for me to rush him to the potty because he unlatches and poops pretty quickly without much warning (except, of course, that I've observed this is a pretty consistent pattern for him ever since his birth). The poops are about 10-15 minutes apart. I tried offering him the potty and holding him over it BEFORE I nurse, but then he just gets mad because he's hungry. It's the same thing if I interrupt him in the middle of nursing to hold him over the potty. It would be best if I could figure out how to nurse him and catch those poops in a potty without having to unlatch him. I gathered from some other threads that some of you mamas know how to do this, but I can't visualize how you're doing it! Help!

Right now I am using my older daughter's old BBLP, but I am open to buying one of the smaller newborn-friendly potties at the EC store. We like to nurse in reverse cradle position.

TIA!

Advertisement

Tweedledum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:59 AM   #2
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

Re: How to nurse while pottying?

I didn't start EC til my son was 5 1/2 months old, but what I have read was people just have the little bowl potties and nurse their babies diaperless and have the potty under the baby's bum while they nurse. http://www.theecstore.com/index.php?...5eb700a64cf12a
I plan on doing this next time around
Old 08-06-2011, 01:42 PM   #3
poopstermomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My 6 week old is the same way- and I don't use a potty, just a brown edge prefold (large toddler sized from GMD). When she pops off the breast to poop, I sit her up, hold her over the prefold and cue her. Easy! (I keep three in my lap, since she usually goes twice! I can't remember when I transitioned to an actual potty with my first DD... maybe when she could sit up...around 4 months? I also offer before and after nursing, but like you said, that is not optimal timing!
poopstermomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:29 PM   #4
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we tried a bowl. I ended up needing to pump while I nursed, and pumping, nursing and this little bowl was a lot to juggle.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:32 PM   #5
Tweedledum
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopstermomma View Post
My 6 week old is the same way- and I don't use a potty, just a brown edge prefold (large toddler sized from GMD). When she pops off the breast to poop, I sit her up, hold her over the prefold and cue her. Easy! (I keep three in my lap, since she usually goes twice! I can't remember when I transitioned to an actual potty with my first DD... maybe when she could sit up...around 4 months? I also offer before and after nursing, but like you said, that is not optimal timing!
The 3-prefold idea is smart! I may resort to that, but part of the reason I want to use a potty is because I am lazy about doing laundry and I want to cut down on the number of dipes I use. Another reason is that I want to get the kiddo used to going in a potty. His older sister was SERIOUSLY phobic of the potty when I began PLing her at 2 years, and I want the transition to a potty to be a smooth one for him & something he's done at least occasionally, for his whole life.

Do any other mamas out there know how to nurse while holding a baby over a potty/bowl?
Old 08-06-2011, 11:35 PM   #6
Tweedledum
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriket View Post
we tried a bowl. I ended up needing to pump while I nursed, and pumping, nursing and this little bowl was a lot to juggle.
Oh yeah, that sounds like you'd need an extra couple of arms to pull that one off. So do you just let your LO go in a diaper then when you're nursing? My problem is that during nursing is, so far, the only time I've consistently observed DS to go. And I don't really want to hold him over a bowl every 15 minutes just guessing when he might need to go. For one thing, I'm too busy chasing after his older sister, and for another, he gets REALLY ticked off when I offer him the potty and he doesn't need to go!
Old 08-09-2011, 05:02 AM   #7
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I used a potty bowl and a bowl when mine were smaller. No diaper. I did sometimes use the BBLP too! I would sit cross legged nursing them in the cradle position over the potty, with one leg supporting the bowl, which would usually be a bit tilted. Wish I had a pic - I might, somewhere. I know one of the EC books has a pic on the cover (I forget which one, though.)

You had a new LO recently! I had no idea. Great news!

Last edited by mel j; 08-09-2011 at 05:04 AM.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:50 PM   #8
Tweedledum
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel j View Post
I used a potty bowl and a bowl when mine were smaller. No diaper. I did sometimes use the BBLP too! I would sit cross legged nursing them in the cradle position over the potty, with one leg supporting the bowl, which would usually be a bit tilted. Wish I had a pic - I might, somewhere. I know one of the EC books has a pic on the cover (I forget which one, though.)

You had a new LO recently! I had no idea. Great news!
Thanks for the response, mel! I've actually been doing really well with ECing DS (one month and three days old today!) I thought for sure I wouldn't try ECing until this LO was 6 months, but he signals SO clearly when he needs to go, and gets really upset at having a soiled diaper that it's either hold him over the potty or listen to him rage on about it before AND after he goes in his diaper! We get 4 or 5 successful catches a day (we'd get more if I wasn't so busy with his 4 yo sister!), and he's gotten really good at letting me know if I'm wasting my time holding him over the BBLP when he doesn't need to go. I'm still not as successful catching the poops, because most of those come when I'm nursing and I'm still too chicken to try nursing over a potty when he's so little/has no head control....
Old 08-13-2011, 10:22 AM   #9
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

can't you just put the potty on your legs? (I haven't done it bc I didn't start EC until DS was 5 1/2 months old). I am picturing sitting on the couch, nursing in cradle position and having the potty under his naked bum, instead of the diaper being there, kwim? Then you are still holding and supporting him