Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-29-2011, 01:12 PM   #11
mynde
Registered Users
seller

Re: Really stressed out, need ideas/support

i feel for you...my son developed a bottle preference around 4-5 mo. like your DD1. so, i would be nervous to give a bottle to #2. it might be worth looking into a supplemental nursing system (SNS) or lactaid. if your DD2 truly needs supplementing, she can get the extra but still be at the breast. supplement can be BM or formula.

very best luck. hang in there!

Advertisement

mynde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:17 PM   #12
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thank you for your responses, especially the encouragement.

Dr today said I could keep trying a bit longer (she was down another 2oz), and that the stools are probably normal (the nurse at the hospital told me any loose watery stools were abnormal and worth an emergency room trip- ped says she's crazy). Our ped is actually really great and said to stop stressing, that she's wetting and pooping and should start gaining soon.

She tends to cluster nurse, but she's also very sleepy and I have the hardest time waking her up and keeping her awake to nurse, anyone have any tips on this?
ISO Gypsum Keens in Kids size 12
pgkcb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:35 PM   #13
Leaner
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgkcb13 View Post
I have the hardest time waking her up and keeping her awake to nurse, anyone have any tips on this?
Take her clothes (besides diaper) off. Tickle her feet. My babies are really sleepy for the first few weeks and this is how I would get them to nurse. Good luck and seriously stop stressing out so much, that helps immensely.
Leaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:27 PM   #14
KristieW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Work her arm up and down like you're pumping water. Cold washcloth on the feet, or if necessary, her bare chest. (I always hated that one.) Stroking her throat can stimulate her to swallow if she's forgetting that little step. Hang in there! And if you're near Seattle and just want support, totally go to an LLL meeting--people there are not only helpful, so many of them have BTDT and it's just nice to have someone to commiserate with.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:38 AM   #15
aumismommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I had do tickle Ds feet for awhile to get him to stay awake nursing. I'd also blow on him, walk my fingers up his body like tickling, talk to him, pat his bum, clothes off, take his hand and pat it on my chest.
Gl!

ISO: Ring Sling WC, Soft Star Shoes (brand) shoes size 8/9 (toddler) or infant
aumismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:44 AM   #16
aept
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It is so great you seem to have a breastfeeding-friendly pedi. Output is key. My third gave us quite a scare with weight loss/not gaining, but my pedi is supportive. Turns out my ds has a high palate which affected his latch/suck. I was pumping to supplement with some expressed milk and that was a lot of extra work on top of the long nursing sessions. But now, at 6-7 weeks we are doing really well. In the last 1-2 week he is really moving from "surviving" to "thriving". I have been able to stop going in for weight checks and relax and enjoy my ds instead of worrying if he was getting enough.
It is hard not to stress about the weight. I was crying about it and afraid I would have to supplement but we made it through without any formula and everything is so much easier now. You can do it too!
Ps- Get as much help as you can to tend to your oldest child so you can focus on the little one. It made me sad at the time to not spend as much time with my older two, but now we are back to "normal" and I can manage all three now, even with my 3 year old newly potty training! I am blessed with a great MIL who took my oldest two A LOT and she is a total gem. She knew I needed to be with the baby and was so helpful while dh was at work.
Again, you can DO this! Some babies are just slow to get going. Keep at it, they get bigger eventually and more efficient.
aept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:10 PM   #17
Leaner
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aept View Post
Again, you can DO this! Some babies are just slow to get going. Keep at it, they get bigger eventually and more efficient.

It took my little quite a while to "get it" but I am so glad we stuck with it!
Leaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:41 AM   #18
rcima
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My baby lost a pound in the first 3 days, they told me to supplement, but I refused. I spent the next three days nursing like crazy and my daughter gained the weight back within two weeks. She is now a 25-pound 8-month-old! Don't give up! I say dido to the skin-to-skin and really enjoy this time with your baby. In a handful of months your little one will be too big and wiggly to snuggle for long, so enjoy these first few days and weeks. Look at this as an opportunity to really bond with your baby, take time to gaze into those precious little eyes and hang on every sweet little feature while you nurse. You will get through this :-)
rcima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:51 AM   #19
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thank you all so much, the support really helps even if I don't respond as often as I'd like! I'm sure you all understand my focus is elsewhere

Our pedi has been great, we did a couple more weight checks and the last week she gained an ounce a day so he has 'released' us, meaning we don't have to go for another appt until 2 months, which is great. The pedi was really great about emphasizing out put too, and made me feel a lot calmer then I had with DD1

I am taking the motherlove stuff once a day still, but seem to be doing okay production wise. We still have sleepy days where she doesn't want to nurse much and days where she's at the breast constantly, but I think that may just be her pattern.

I'm still a bit nervous about keeping production up over time, but trying to focus on the positive, which is that she's three weeks and still EBF!
Old 08-14-2011, 12:53 AM   #20
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristieW View Post
Work her arm up and down like you're pumping water. Cold washcloth on the feet, or if necessary, her bare chest. (I always hated that one.) Stroking her throat can stimulate her to swallow if she's forgetting that little step. Hang in there! And if you're near Seattle and just want support, totally go to an LLL meeting--people there are not only helpful, so many of them have BTDT and it's just nice to have someone to commiserate with.
And thanks for this! I should totally check out LLL, my old theatre teacher/vocal coach/mentor/family friend was a leader, BF all her boys till they were like 5, tandem and all, pretty amazing. Actually she was great support through the VBAC craziness too (she had a VBAC and then two HBACs), maybe I should start with her!