Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-13-2011, 03:32 PM   #1
Merilwen
Registered Users

strep

I just found out I have strep throat, had symptoms a day, maybe two, before I went to the er with a 104 fever. I had just started the mini pill, so at first I thought I was just having a bad reaction and didn't stop breastfeeding until about an hour before I went in.

I asked the doctor if I should continue to feed ds, and he asked someone in their pediatrics dept. I was told that I could not feed him, but I could pump for bottles as long as I swabbed my nipples with alcohol before, and that I should avoid contact with ds for four days.

Looking online, everything I have found says to keep nursing, that I am no longer contagious 24 hours after starting meds, just to not cough/sneeze on baby, stay out of his face, and wash hands frequently.

Does any have experience with this? What were you told to do?

Advertisement

Merilwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 03:41 PM   #2
Zookeeper
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How old is your baby? Is he/she only Breastfed? My ped told me that exclusively breastfed babies don't get strep because there is am enzyme in breastmilk that somehow fights the strep. I don't know all the exact data, but he is very pro-breastfeeding and super supportive of natural remedies. I would keep breastfeeding if it were me, as long as the antibiotics you are on are ok. Good luck and feel better soon!

~Rachel
Old 08-13-2011, 03:51 PM   #3
Merilwen
Registered Users

Re: strep

He is 6 weeks, and was only breastfed. I did not have a stash ready so we had to supplement formula for a few of his feedings yesterday and today.

I am on amoxicillin, which the doc said would only cause a bit of diarrhea in ds

I probably will just go back to breastfeeding, wear a mask if I get paranoid.
Merilwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:33 PM   #4
aept
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
If it was me, I would continue to nurse my baby and just be careful about handwashing, not coughing on them, etc.
I hope you feel well soon!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
aept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:00 PM   #5
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had strep when my DD was about 22 months old. I didn't stop nursing or really do anything special, though I was more careful with hand washing because I didn't want anyone else in the house getting sick. I may also have wiped off door knobs and light switches and things--but that has nothing to do with nursing! Nobody had even a hint of illness other than me.

You were probably contagious before you had any symptoms. I wouldn't give it too much extra worry.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:17 PM   #6
Zookeeper
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Plus, you are passing those good antibodies to fight it through your milk to your baby!

~Rachel
Old 08-13-2011, 10:57 PM   #7
fish3737
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merilwen View Post
He is 6 weeks, and was only breastfed. I did not have a stash ready so we had to supplement formula for a few of his feedings yesterday and today.

I am on amoxicillin, which the doc said would only cause a bit of diarrhea in ds

I probably will just go back to breastfeeding, wear a mask if I get paranoid.
It isn't just breastfed babies - babies and small children are very unlikely to contract strep throat (my sister is a pediatrician and she explained it to me once - but I can't remember the reasons now - LOL ) Like kids under 3 it is almost unheard of.

So I wouldn't sweat it.

Now my personal story - When my baby was 8 months old - I got strep throat. It HURT so bad. I was treated and then like weeks later my baby was sick with something that they happened to take blood work for - guess what!!! She had strep too. It wasn't my regular pedi. The next time I saw her I told her the story and she wrinkled her nose up and looked it up on the computer. She was like, "no way - that is crazy".

I guess my point is that it is rare, and for me we never even noticed it with her (when she did actually have it).

Nurse away!
Old 08-13-2011, 11:40 PM   #8
DevonP
Registered Users
seller

I was just reading up on illness and continuing to bf recently and everything I came across said to continue. Here is an article from Kellymom: http://kellymom.com/health/illness/mom-illness.html
Get better soon!
DevonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:23 PM   #9
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

I'd keep right on nursing! Feel better soon!