Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-14-2011, 06:44 PM   #1
cherrycoke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Can you teach a 3-month-old nursing manners?

I've put up with the hitting, kicking, and shirt-pulling. I know DS isn't doing any of it on purpose (well, maybe the shirt-pulling, he's just understanding the concept of seeing something and grabbing it). But tonight, several times, DS has bitten down AND twisted his head at the same time. He's done both individually but this is the first (second and third) time he's combined them. It hurts like he**! I immediately unlatch him and/or put him down, but moments later he's rooting again and hungry still. I've put off re-latching him but then he starts crying like he's starving to death. Right now he's pretty tired, so it could just be fussiness but OMG it hurts when he does it. I really want to make sure that I break him of this before he starts teething

Advertisement

Old 08-14-2011, 06:48 PM   #2
ayer79
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I almost posted this same thing today! My 5mo old does it and it brings me to tears. He starts laughing as he tugs bc he thinks it's funny! I've been unlatching him, saying no bite, then sitting him up. When he whimpers I relatch. Every time he bites I've been doing this hoping he makes the connection. I'm just glad he doesn't have teeth, yet! ; )
Old 08-14-2011, 07:26 PM   #3
KandFsMomma
Registered Users
Formerly: keirinsmomma
seller

My Mood:
Re: Can you teach a 3-month-old nursing manners?

My 4 month old too! But he's doing it when he's tired or gassy, so I just stop nursing him and rock him. But owe I know how you feel!
His other favourite in to grab my breast really hard with his sharp little nails. I hand him my necklace or his kitty, and he'll push them away and grab my breast again.
Funny, my daughter never did any of this...
Old 08-14-2011, 07:34 PM   #4
NEWBUTWILLING
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

YES my son is almost 4 months and does the same thing. In the afternoon times when he just wants a quick snack he will clamp down and pull then smile while doing it. Drives me BONKERS! He also kicks his foot at me and pulls my shirt. My daughter never was like this must be a boy thing
Old 08-14-2011, 08:32 PM   #5
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Is it possible that you have overactive letdown and he's trying to manage the flow? At 3 months old, I don't think they have the capacity to understand cause and effect yet, so IMO, they don't have the capacity to have good nursing manners.

What if you try leaning back while nursing so that gravity slows the flow a bit?
Old 08-14-2011, 10:06 PM   #6
KandFsMomma
Registered Users
Formerly: keirinsmomma
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganCupcake View Post
Is it possible that you have overactive letdown and he's trying to manage the flow? At 3 months old, I don't think they have the capacity to understand cause and effect yet, so IMO, they don't have the capacity to have good nursing manners.

What if you try leaning back while nursing so that gravity slows the flow a bit?
Oooh, I do, but he's never bitten me when I was over full.

Good Idea though Momma. and I agree about the lack of manners and the age..
Old 08-15-2011, 02:58 AM   #7
cherrycoke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganCupcake View Post

I do think that I have overactive letdown, and for the most part he seems to handle it pretty well. The clamping and turning happened during his usual cluster feeding time though, so I don't think my letdown is causing this behavior, unless it's too slow during that time and he's frustrated at how long it takes to fill his tummy.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:31 AM   #8
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrycoke View Post
I do think that I have overactive letdown, and for the most part he seems to handle it pretty well. The clamping and turning happened during his usual cluster feeding time though, so I don't think my letdown is causing this behavior, unless it's too slow during that time and he's frustrated at how long it takes to fill his tummy.
Maybe it's the opposite? During his cluster feeding, he wants to comfort nurse but he gets more milk than he would like? My DS sometimes turns and pops off repeatedly during nursing sessions, and usually there's milk dribbling out of his mouth, but then he want to nurse again--I think really what he wants is to suckle, but he gets a lot of milk instead.

I've always thought cluster feeding is a lot about comfort nursing and only a little about hunger--that's just my hunch with my littles, though.