Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-15-2011, 09:07 PM   #11
Mara'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

Anyway, I'm not some kind of expert by any means. Just sharing what information I have gathered from my experience with the drs and talking to people. I pretty much tell everyone who I start talking to with a baby because I've found that its something that is so overlooked and can be easily fixed.
Good luck to you both. Id be interested know what ends up happening as well if you don't mind sharing.

Advertisement

Mara'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:31 PM   #12
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Lip Tie

i talked to the lcs today (lll picnic) both told me that it was tied, and it wouldn't hurt to see a dentist. They also said that since he doesn't have the "y" (your LO does Colin) that it's not severe, and since his lip comes up. The did mention with pretty good certainty that it will probably gap his teeth, but if he needs braces they will take care of it then.

They also said you do NOT have to go under to have it clipped. So, since you don't have to go under, I think I am going to call the DR they recommended. Also, in my case, it could be a fast let down so we're trying some more upright nursing posture. I don't want to say so soon that it's not going to work, but I nurse 90% of the time laying back with him on my chest lounge style. I was doing it today with purpose and thought he was getting less air and he let out THE BIGGEST belch. So.. not really working.

We'll see what the dentist says. I just hate the poor little guy's belly hurts.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:47 PM   #13
Mara'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriket
i talked to the lcs today (lll picnic) both told me that it was tied, and it wouldn't hurt to see a dentist. They also said that since he doesn't have the "y" (your LO does Colin) that it's not severe, and since his lip comes up. The did mention with pretty good certainty that it will probably gap his teeth, but if he needs braces they will take care of it then.

They also said you do NOT have to go under to have it clipped. So, since you don't have to go under, I think I am going to call the DR they recommended. Also, in my case, it could be a fast let down so we're trying some more upright nursing posture. I don't want to say so soon that it's not going to work, but I nurse 90% of the time laying back with him on my chest lounge style. I was doing it today with purpose and thought he was getting less air and he let out THE BIGGEST belch. So.. not really working.

We'll see what the dentist says. I just hate the poor little guy's belly hurts.
Poor guy. I hope you can get it worked out. Unfortunately my insurance won't cover the dentist, but I know they will do it without the anesthesia. Apparently ENT's love putting people under- guess it's like a field day for them!!!

It's good you found it early. Dd was my first and wasn't aware of it, she screamed for three months straight poor thing. I feel so bad about it now.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:19 PM   #14
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Colin has definitely been a gassy baby, but not too fussy about it. He toots and burbs and seems to be just fine with it. In the beginning I remember thinking he was uncomfortable with the gas. Probably till he was about 4 months. We got really good at bicycling his legs to help him toot and I burped him until about a month or so ago...

Well... I'm not too surprised that his lip tie is severe. His tongue tie was the worst the Pedi had ever seen... (wow. lucky us.) I just don't know who to talk to. A dentist? A Pedi dentist? His regular Pedi? Someone else? I don't want to get the run around and I won't do anesthesia at his age.

Oh, and braces... yeah, that'll be fun for him. Poor kid. Those are my genes.... I feel bad about that.

Thanks for all the great info and suggestions! I'll let you know what happens. DH is out of town for the week and we are just trying to survive till then, so it might be a week or so before I look into it.

I must have nipples of steal to deal with the soreness. lol
Old 08-16-2011, 01:24 PM   #15
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriket View Post
I am in the same spot. You should (and I should ) actually talk to someone who could do something about it and see if they would actually need to be put under. I know it sounds brutal, but it's a pretty quick procedure, you would think they could just hold them down?

I just nursed through it with DS1. You find the ways that work, and just do what needs done. Once they get older it seems to get a little better. Thought DS1 wasn't as bad as DS2 who isn't as bad as yours. I'm kinda suprized you haven't got cracks and he doesn't have nursing blisters. DS2 has a big old blister that just won't go away on his top lip. I noticed it in the hospital but figured once he got used to nursing it would go away, but it's still here.
Glad to hear that it gets better with time. I remember an LC telling me that it would be better once he had head control. Nope. Maybe when he's a little bigger, though. Maybe. I'm gonna nurse no matter what, though, so either way.

Another LC recommended that I just nurse with a shield. I thought that was kinda not the best recommendation because I've always seen that using a shield can lower supply because of lack of stimulation and LO can hardly get a good latch on my breast. I think he'd look at me like I was crazy if I tried to get him to latch to a shield. lol I don't think he'd go for that. Its ok. I'm tough. I can take it. lol
Old 08-16-2011, 06:05 PM   #16
Mara'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin-mylilguy
Colin has definitely been a gassy baby, but not too fussy about it. He toots and burbs and seems to be just fine with it. In the beginning I remember thinking he was uncomfortable with the gas. Probably till he was about 4 months. We got really good at bicycling his legs to help him toot and I burped him until about a month or so ago...

Well... I'm not too surprised that his lip tie is severe. His tongue tie was the worst the Pedi had ever seen... (wow. lucky us.) I just don't know who to talk to. A dentist? A Pedi dentist? His regular Pedi? Someone else? I don't want to get the run around and I won't do anesthesia at his age.

Oh, and braces... yeah, that'll be fun for him. Poor kid. Those are my genes.... I feel bad about that.

Thanks for all the great info and suggestions! I'll let you know what happens. DH is out of town for the week and we are just trying to survive till then, so it might be a week or so before I look into it.

I must have nipples of steal to deal with the soreness. lol
I would go to the pedi dentist if possible. You can try an ENT but I think they might tell you they want to put him under. You can always ask your pediatrician too. Good luck!!