Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-13-2011, 01:33 PM   #1
Farmer's Wife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
BLW Mamas out there, help me pls! I'm new to the whole thing!

I posted this on a different thread, but thought I would start up my own. I'm just starting up with BLW. I need to turn off the TV and read my BLW book!! lol

Anyway, DS is 7 months + 1 week old. I have given DS banana and when he has gotten bits in his mouth, he gags and has thrown up a tiny bit. He gags when I put half a yam-puff into his mouth too. Not always but sometimes. He is starting to refine his fine motor skills to try to pick them up but not quite yet. I'm scared to give him other foods like the ones you have described because I don't want him to gag and choke (he choked once and I had to flip him to an angle and pat his back to help him out!) What do I do? Just go for it? I have also given him half a baguette round which he sucked and gummed on and also a snap-pea, which he gummed, a cooked bean and an already eaten corn husk to gnaw on. All these things went well. I'm just afraid of him actually getting anything into his mouth because of the choking issue.

Also, What do you do for constipation? Now that he doesn't have his prunes by spoon, I have given prune/apple juice cut with water through a bottle, about an ounce per day (he doesn't take much by sippy cup yet) and that is working so far.

Advertisement

Old 08-14-2011, 08:04 PM   #2
jeepmom
Registered Users
seller

Re: BLW Mamas out there, help me pls! I'm new to the whole thing!

I still gave some spoon food, yogurt, oatmeal, applesauce, along with pretty much anything I was eating. When my DD was that age, I used to give her things that I knew she couldn't break apart, or that when they did she could swallow the pieces whole.

Watermelon -- leave about an inch on the rind (which makes a good handle)
Large chunks of ripe canteloupe (you'd be surprised!)
Chicken (a nice long piece of meat from the thigh is good)
Celery (a great teething toy)
Grilled sweet pepper, grilled zucchini spear
Pasta (rotini) with olive oil
Carrot sticks, well cooked (if you use the baby carrots in the bag, cut them in half lengthwise so they're not a choking hazard)

And if you're having issues with constipation, IMO ditch the baby cereal and try adult oatmeal or applesauce. You should be able to get applesauce with other fruits mixed in for variety.

And although we went through a lot of gagging and spit ups (gross), she never actually choked.
jeepmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:40 PM   #3
Farmer's Wife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmom View Post
I still gave some spoon food, yogurt, oatmeal, applesauce, along with pretty much anything I was eating. When my DD was that age, I used to give her things that I knew she couldn't break apart, or that when they did she could swallow the pieces whole.

Watermelon -- leave about an inch on the rind (which makes a good handle)
Large chunks of ripe canteloupe (you'd be surprised!)
Chicken (a nice long piece of meat from the thigh is good)
Celery (a great teething toy)
Grilled sweet pepper, grilled zucchini spear
Pasta (rotini) with olive oil
Carrot sticks, well cooked (if you use the baby carrots in the bag, cut them in half lengthwise so they're not a choking hazard)

And if you're having issues with constipation, IMO ditch the baby cereal and try adult oatmeal or applesauce. You should be able to get applesauce with other fruits mixed in for variety.

And although we went through a lot of gagging and spit ups (gross), she never actually choked.
Great ideas!! Thanks! I haven't been giving him cereal for awhile now, but maybe he would pick up mushy oatmeal with 100% maple syrup as a sweetener. He drank 2 oz water/apple juice from a bottle, hope that helps him.
Today I gave him a baguette slice (round) cut in half, which he loves and then tomato slices! He loved the tomato, I just cut length strips from the end piece so the skin kept it together. It was great! He did one gag but other than that, it was good. I can't wait to try your ideas! Thanks again!
Old 08-15-2011, 10:19 AM   #4
Hopetobe
Registered Users

I'm new to all this, but I thought gagging and spitting out/up or throwing up were all signs of not being ready for solids? My 6mo has had a few things now and has yet to gag or anything yet.
Hopetobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:08 AM   #5
ommsound
Registered Users
seller

What does BLW mean? I've searched all the acronym lists and can't find it!

Thanks, new mama here!
ommsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:50 AM   #6
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Baby Led Weaning

My 8 mo still gags, but doesn't choke or throw up. I hand him things and if he wants to, he "tastes" it. If he doesn't, he usually chucks it to the dog. I think of food at this age as just a learning experience. I don't really worry about what he does or doesn't eat at this point. He is just figuring it out, just like everything else. And we don't do food every day - usually only once in the day but I don't have a hard-and-fast rule. We just kinda go with it. He hasn't been constipated, but I've been told by an LC that any fruit (or fruit juice, watered down 1/2) starting with the letter "P" will help. Prunes, Pears, Peaches, Pineapple, Passion fruit, etc.

We are having fun and I like that its laid back. He mostly just wants to nurse still and I'm fine with that. My Pedi is fine with it, too.