Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-12-2011, 03:22 PM   #1
lovebirds
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question How important is the expiration date on formula?

I have a Similac Advance formula in the 23oz tub that I got a month before my DS was born in case I could not breast feed. I am looking at the exp. date and it says Aug 1, 2011.
So my question is, is it still okay? If so, I will offer FFS so someone can get some use out of it.

Another Q: if it's not still good, does the container seal very well for re-using for other things? (like putting dried raspberry leaves in it... or something.)

Advertisement

lovebirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:53 PM   #2
GreysBumatomy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: How important is the expiration date on formula?

The nutrients will by that point have dissipated =/
Old 08-12-2011, 09:31 PM   #3
lovebirds
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Okay, thanks. Phooey.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:38 AM   #4
myclanof6
Registered Users
seller
seller

My mom uses formula when she feeds her pups that are weaning and their momma. Just a little extra boost.
I lift my eyes unto the hills, Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, The Maker of Heaven and Earth. And I'll praise You in this storm and I will lift my hands, For You are who You are no matter where I am, And every tear I've cried You hold in Your hand, You never left my side and though my heart is torn, I will praise You in this storm
myclanof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:57 PM   #5
OurAllenBaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We received some powered formula one time that was literally 2 days out of date. I decided to try & use it anyways and it had a weird odor to it. It was obviously spoiled. I would say that the expiration date is critical with formula. We even had some one time that smelled off and it was a month before from the expiration date.

I would say it is probably safe to feed to livestock or pets but no way would I feed it to a child.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:26 AM   #6
Shalom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Our doctor kept giving us expired samples (we kept telling them and DH didn't check before receiving them) and we decided to go ahead and give it to our DD. It was about 5 cans worth of neocate...but we had run out and you can't just run to the store to buy this (so that's why we did it). But it was fine for her. It didn't smell and worked just fine. But that also might be because it's a non-milk based formula and lasts years, not like the milk-based that only lasts a year? Who knows.

The hurt a troubled child creates is never greater than the hurt they feel inside. -T.
Shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:00 PM   #7
wendow
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalom View Post
Our doctor kept giving us expired samples (we kept telling them and DH didn't check before receiving them) and we decided to go ahead and give it to our DD. It was about 5 cans worth of neocate...but we had run out and you can't just run to the store to buy this (so that's why we did it). But it was fine for her. It didn't smell and worked just fine. But that also might be because it's a non-milk based formula and lasts years, not like the milk-based that only lasts a year? Who knows.
Same here except it was Elecare but essentially the same...amino acid-based formula. Our ped called me and said she had 11 cans (9 of which were expired by a couple of months). At $50 per can, I was more than willing to give them a try especially since our ped thought it was ok. THe cans were fine. Not a one smelled or seemed to give my ds any trouble. But i could see where a milk-based or soy formula might be different and more at risk for spoilage.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:51 AM   #8
bcb1961
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'll be the odd woman out and say that I would use it as long as it didn't smell funny (well, funnier than formula usually smells anyway). The nutrients don't "dissipate" overnight. But if you are offering if FFS rather than using it yourself, I doubt anyone would want it.
bcb1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:25 AM   #9
lovebirds
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Okay.... thanks all... I will just store it to give to pups (thanks, myclanof6) and use the container for something....