Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-15-2011, 09:59 PM   #11
hippieintraining
Registered Users
seller

Re: How come knowone talks about an oversupply?

Yes, block feeding. I try to use my DDs poo as an indication of hindmilk/foremilk... anytime it gets green, I keep her on once side for even longer (instead of 3 hour block, go to 4) and pump the other side for comfort and to freeze.

I still have several extra let downs per day (4 months pp) and often end up with two nice wet marks on my shirt.

I'm using an over supply to my benefit so I can donate. I'm getting out an extra 10-12oz per day on average, sometimes much more. It's harder to regulate my milk with the extra pump session(s) but it's something I really want to do.

Otherwise, the other mamas have given great advice

Advertisement

My ISO/IHA
hippieintraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:32 PM   #12
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

I just started block feeding today so I hope it starts to improve things! I love the idea of donating milk, do you donate locally?

colin-mylilguy: I completely understand about not wanting to talk about it with friends! While at church on Sunday I fed dd, it took 4-5 minutes Someone then made the comment "Your calling it quits already?" I just said she is efficient... Then dd spit up a bunch from eating so fast And while I was pregnant my friend kept telling me "You have to watch TV while you pump or your milk wont let down" and how she pumps for 30 minutes and gets 3 oz total (1.5 oz out of a boob at 7months pp). My milk lets down multiple times a day, without doing anything... And I pumped 7oz in less then 5 minutes a couple mornings ago I just say "okay" when she gives me her breastfeeding advice since she means well. You are totally correct when you say that its a blessing and a curse!
CntryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:46 PM   #13
TeachinAuntie
Registered Users
Formerly: sgoe***
seller
seller

My Mood:

It isn't as big of a problem as other issues for as many people.

I have/had a huge over supply. With my first born I could never self regulate, so. I pumped for donation for 11 months, then pumped an extra month for myself, then finally regulated are pound 1 yr and was pregnantly 14 months!!

With my 8 day old, it came in with a vengeance on day 3. I had been block feeding per my LCs advice but was still engorged by that evening. Lots of cabbage, pain, pumping, hot showers and hand expressing and I was finally able to get the boys to BOTH nurse on my super engorged side last night, freeing me from the pump.

I still have more milk than they need, am hard and lumpy, and very tender but I think having my toddler (22 months) to help out is helping. I'm avoiding the pump, drinking tons of water, and nursing on demand for both of them.

Luke- nap, bed, and if he gets hurt
Vince- every 1-3 hours, with at least 2 cluster feedings of ivermectin a hour long each day

Last edited by TeachinAuntie; 08-16-2011 at 08:52 PM.
TeachinAuntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:57 PM   #14
TeachinAuntie
Registered Users
Formerly: sgoe***
seller
seller

My Mood:

Lu,e is 22 months and STILL only nurses from one side. He's nursing for 20-30 minutes at a time from one boob before he falls asleep...and really nursing not dream suckling. Normally when I pop him off it's because my poor nipple can't take any more of his mouthful of teeth....he doesn't bite, they just get in the way!

Since Vince is cluster feeding a lot he sometimes gets both boobs within "session" but I'm pretty good at judging when one side is done.

Donation is awesome! I found my milk baby on here, but DS doesn't allow those posts anymore. I was able to donate enough that my milk baby never had formula and her mom now has an established supply, but she used my milk for 11 months and then gave me back the leftovers to use with Luke when my supply dropped during pregnancy!

TeachinAuntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:35 PM   #15
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeachinAuntie View Post

Donation is awesome! I found my milk baby on here, but DS doesn't allow those posts anymore. I was able to donate enough that my milk baby never had formula and her mom now has an established supply, but she used my milk for 11 months and then gave me back the leftovers to use with Luke when my supply dropped during pregnancy!
That is awesome!!
CntryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:45 AM   #16
mpfanny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
At 6 months EPing I was pumping over 60 oz a day.

GL Mama!

ETA: Forgot to mention I donated on milkshare and eats on feets on FB.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Last edited by mpfanny; 08-17-2011 at 12:48 AM.
mpfanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:51 PM   #17
thtr4me
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I donated through Milk Share with DS1. It was such a great group, although from what I understand it is not as easy to use since they moved away from the Yahoo group format. And "Eats on Feet" on FB recently changed to "Human Milk for Human Babies". My milk baby this time around is actually the baby of a co-worker, so I can just bring the excess frozen to work every few weeks, which she then takes home.
thtr4me is offline   Reply With Quote