Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-17-2011, 11:58 PM   #1
alisciya
Registered Users

Milk alternatives for dairy intolerant babies.

My son (12 months yesterday ) has a terrible time with dairy. He was super colicky as an infant before we realized he wasn't handling the Baby's Only Dairy well at all. (At the time he was primarily bf and only getting 4-6oz of formula a day.)
Then Baby's only came out with Lactose free... and it's been amazing!

He handles the formula just fine, fantastically even; however he can not handle any other lactose free dairy.

We want to start weaning off of the formula, or at least down to 1/2 formula but EVERYTHING makes his poop crazy...

We've tried:
Coconut Milk- best alternative so far, still crazy poops
Almond Milk
Hemp Milk
Goat Milk- even if it would have worked there's no way we could have afforded it. He would have still been on formula.
Lactose free whole milk- didn't sit well plus it's almost impossible to find in organic...

I currently have rice milk in the house because I used it in his BD cake. So I guess we'll try that next...

Soy is not an option...

I guess I'm just wondering if there's anyone out there with this problem and what you have done about it. I'm close to giving up and letting him drink formula forever. He's the only person in our family that has this problem, so it's all new territory for us....

Advertisement

alisciya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:10 AM   #2
joy7s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Milk alternatives for dairy intolerant babies.

I didn't ff but dd has dairy intolerance issues. it does sound like he maybe has other allergy issues?? dd did get yucky runny poop with dairy she is three and still has issues sometimes. I personally prefer almond milk but I guess it is a taste preference? I do know there are recipes to make goats milk into formula.

why didn't you like the almond, hemp or rice milk?
Spring Joy Jesus following,cding, extended bfing,tandem nursing (again!) , homeschooling, mama milk donating, semi crunchy and green mama. Unemployed ped RN married to my one and only n asl Terp since 2/16/00
my three princesses: a (6/26/04) s (9/15/06) and Z (8/5/08)
and little man Z (11/12/10)
joy7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:01 PM   #3
annabell215
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We had this problem and we asked the pediatrician about it. He told us to keep our little one on the formula until he was 2. This was the best fix we could have up until now. We actually can't even use organic for my son. He is on Alementum which is RICE based and has no DHA/RHA. Hypoallergenic and the only thing my son could keep down and begin to gain weight. Maybe you are trying to switch out of a formula too soon? The PED told me that the formula mix was best due to it being vitamin fortified and that it would be better than trying to find a "milk" he could handle. I don't know if I was helpful or not. Just the experience we have had. BTW...when we tried goatmilk it made my son's bottom bleed through the pores of his skin!

Christian Wife to Grayson, Mommy to Madison (10), Landon (2), and Hudson (10 months) Stay at home mom and maker of simplebum diapers!

Last edited by annabell215; 08-18-2011 at 02:02 PM.
annabell215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:05 PM   #4
wendow
Registered Users
seller

My almost 3yo still cannot tolerate any dairy whatsoever. He is still drinking formula once a day and almond milk. He drank formula mostly still at 2yo. None of the milk alternatives provide the complete nutrition a baby that young needs. Goat's milk would work if baby can tolerate it but I know you said that won't work. My ds vomited terribly on it so it wasn't an option for us either. I'd keep your baby on formula if you can.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:08 PM   #5
wendow
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabell215 View Post
He is on Alementum which is RICE based and has no DHA/RHA. Hypoallergenic and the only thing my son could keep down and begin to gain weight.
My 4mo is on Alimentum and it is actually milk-based but the milk proteins are highly broken down so that hopefully, the baby's body does not even recognize them as milk. It works for my 4mo but he is not near as sensitive as my ds1 was. He has to have an amino acid-based formula.