Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-18-2011, 09:35 AM   #1
upstategirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question Crib

So, I have a crib that was used with my first ds and second. I got it from my step mom and don't think it was new. I think it was used when I got it. So, anyways it's the drop down side crib. I know they have changed the regulations and don't make these anymore. I have read also that it's illegal to resell them. So anyways should I keep it or buy another one. We can't really afford a new one. Though I know getting a used for the most part it would probably be the drop down one. I don't think the sides that don't go down have been out for too long. I might have to buy a new one or get a good used one, anyways. I think when I took the crib apart from our last ds using it, I think I split some of the wood where a screw went. I remember getting very frustrated taking it apart, by myself. LOL

Advertisement

upstategirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:58 AM   #2
mrspnut82
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Crib

I would get a new one or used one without the drop side.
mrspnut82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:00 AM   #3
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

If it has split wood I'd replace it, if it is simply a drop side, then I'd keep it. You can always drill in screws to make it unmovable if you choose. My crib, I got in 07, it is a convertable crib so does have 1 drop side on the front I will use it for this baby I know it is safe kwim? Just make sure the screws are in right and nothing is loose, the rail is on the correct way and all is good.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:20 PM   #4
cutebluebaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If the wood is split, I'd get a new one. Not only are drop sides banned, but basically any crib that was manufactured prior to June 28th this year, whether it's drop side or not, has hazards. They're saying the hardware with the "new" non-drop sides don't meet the new regulations if it was manufactured prior to June 28th, but you can do continuous checks to make sure the hardware doesn't give out.

We bought our crib last summer as a replacement to the drop side we had with Z. It flat out broke when we moved... split wood and all, and I didn't feel comfortable enough with DH nailing and screwing it together. N never slept in it... never used it other than the rails as teethers. I'm not going to buy yet another crib when I can just do those checks.

Fabrics : Fitteds : Inserts : Boy Clothes : Girl Clothes
cutebluebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:48 PM   #5
munchkinsmama2007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was given a very gently used (looked like brand new) drop-side crib when I was pregnant with DS. I used it with him with no problems - and I never fixed it so the side wouldn't go down, either. I'm short and trying to reach in to lay down a sleeping baby when the mattress is at it's lowest just wasn't happening. As rambunctious as DS was/is, if HE didn't have any issues with it, I'm sure it can stand up to this LO I'm carrying now. Plus, as long as baby is nursing, I'll be co-sleeping at night and the crib will only be used for naps. I'm not worried about it.
Brianne, married to my sweetheart Eric, mommy to Reuben(4), and expecting #2 on or around 1-9-12
munchkinsmama2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:22 PM   #6
flmamao2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have a drop side crib and are just fixing the sides in place so they dont have the ability to move any longer. I would replace it if the wood was split, but not just because the sides move.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:31 PM   #7
oriskanystorey
Registered Users
seller

I would visit cpsc.gov to see if your crib has been recalled. If not, here are the guidelines for ensuring that your drop side crib is safe:
Every time you change the sheets, make sure there are no gaps larger than two fingers between the sides of the crib and the mattress. Make sure all visible bolts and screws are tight. With the mattress out of the crib, wiggle the crib to see how tight all the joints are. If the crib feels loose, wobbly or structurally not sound, tighten all hardware. If the crib remains wobbly after tightening, look for loose wood-to-wood joints that may be causing the problem. Stop using the crib if loose wood-to-wood joints are found.
I use my drop side crib for ds.
While the chance of something happening to your child may be slim, do you really care what the statistics are if it's your child that was hurt?
oriskanystorey is offline   Reply With Quote