Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-18-2011, 08:32 PM   #1
LittleLady8
Registered Users
seller

ERF seat for Subaru Legacy (sedan)

I'm looking for a seat that will fit well in my Subaru Legacy Sedan ('08, I think) with a higher RF weight limit. We have a huge Britax Advocate in our 4runner and though I love it, there is no way that beast will fit in the Sube! Our Chicco Keyfit 30 was even a tight fit. I am willing to outboard on the passenger side or put the seat in the middle.

I have heard that the Radians XTLS is a poor fit rear facing (bummed, that's what I really want ). I have also read that some of the other Britaxs work well (not sure which ones).

Anyone with experience with this car? I appreciate the advice!

Advertisement

Old 08-18-2011, 10:22 PM   #2
The Fancy Pansy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: ERF seat for Subaru Legacy (sedan)

We have the same car! If it's the same model (ours is a 2008), then the only thing that will fit rearfacing is the original Roundabout or maybe the Diplomat. At least that I know of. Only the "compact" convertible car seats fit. SO frustrating!!! Although we have the Roundabout and it is great, we have very very tall girls, so my first outgrew it at 20 months, and my second is on the same growth curve so far.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:07 AM   #3
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

The new Britax convertibles (roundabout 55, marathon 70, boulevard 70, advocate 70cs) take up very little front-back space. Remember that they can be as upright as 30* (measured down from vertical) once a child is older. That helps a lot with front-back space.
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:11 AM   #4
KristieW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I second the new Britaxes... We have one in my husband's TINY new-to-us 2005 Scion xA (at a 30* angle) and he can get the drivers' seat almost all the way back anyway. In my (Corolla) Matrix (the Corolla is about the same size as the Legacy), I CAN get the seats all the way back if the seat is at a 30* angle.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:18 PM   #5
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have an '04 Subaru Impreza & an '09 Forester. We have Evenflo Triumphs in both cars RFing w/o a problem. The convertible actually takes up less front to back space than the Keyfit 30 did. The front seat on the Forester can go quite a ways back & on the Impreza it's a little squishy. It's a stick & the passenger seat is 1-2 "clicks" forward of where I have my driver's seat; I don't sit particularly close to the wheel, but close enough to press the clutch. DD is 17 mos & I'm guessing 34ish inches & 30ish pounds (maybe a little less). I anticipate she'll be able to RF to well past two in the seats. They're not your typical ERF seats, but they do get the job done & this should give you an idea of the dimensions. Bottom line: Don't judge the Legacy's capacity based on your experience w/ your Keyfit. It was only after switching to a convertible that I realized just how much space it took up .
Old 08-21-2011, 09:44 PM   #6
LittleLady8
Registered Users
seller

Wow - thanks! I was wondering how upright an older child can sit rear facing. How can I measure the angle more accurately than 'eyeballing it'? I've seen the trick with a diagonally folded square piece of paper to measure 45*... And is a 1 year old considered and 'older' child? Again - this is so appreciated! Thank you
Old 08-22-2011, 06:04 AM   #7
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

A 1 year old is definitely "older" for these purposes. 30* is the angle between the hands on a clock at 11:00 or 1:00. You can probably eyeball it.
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote