Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-21-2011, 12:27 PM   #1
neonalee
Registered Users
seller
seller

over 1 yr, too late to start?

DS turned 1 earlier this month. He has never been fussy about a dirty diaper unless it's poop & been there long enough to start a rash (happened once when we were out with the stroller & I didn't realize). We CD, the wet just doesn't bother him. He usually only poops once a day. I can tell when he's pooping, but haven't noticed anything before. Doesn't seem to be the same time daily either. Last, it would only be weekends/evenings since he is in daycare during the week. He only poops during the day, occasionally in the morning. Should I bother? How would I start?

Sent using DS Forum, please forgive typos

Advertisement

I Swagbucks
neonalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 02:38 PM   #2
ExuberantDaffodil
Registered Users
seller

Re: over 1 yr, too late to start?

I don't think it's too late at all. I started with my baby when she was just under a year old (I tried when she was younger, but we both couldn't get the hang of it).

The way I started was to always take her potty first thing in the morning. And I talked about pottying with her, and I showed her the sign for potty. I then moved on to taking her potty every time I did, again, talking about it and signing. She had a little bucket of toys she could play with, too.

During this time, I paid very close attention to her elimination schedule, but pretty soon she started signing every time she wanted to use her potty. She's better with pooping on the potty than peeing, but we have our little routine down now, and when she's wanting or needing to use her potty, she knows how to tell me. It's been completely stress-free and zero pressure.

I personally think it's never too late to EC (unless, that is, the child is already potty-independent )
Old 08-22-2011, 06:58 PM   #3
neonalee
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks for the response! I think I will give this one to DP to do just because I have to do most everything else

Sent using DS Forum, please forgive typos

I Swagbucks
neonalee is offline   Reply With Quote