Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-21-2011, 06:05 PM   #21
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: Carseats - Bucket vs. Convertible. Help me decide!

i got a snugride 35 for this baby. Never skipped the bucket even though i babywear most of the time. There is always moments im glad i had it like when its pouring rain and i dont want to pull the baby out in the rain.

Advertisement

momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:17 PM   #22
treegirl75
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I think we've decided to get one larger convertible/booster for ds to share between our 2 vehicles, and a bucket for the baby w/ an extra base of course. We will save the 2 Sceneras for when the baby outgrows the bucket (if he or she is tall like ds it will be before a year old. I have TALL kiddos!)

Sent from my iPhone that has a mind of its own
Old 08-21-2011, 08:21 PM   #23
Lady_B
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We still have the bucket from when DD was born. She too was born in the colder months so it was nice to load her up with blankets and then a cover. PLUS new babies people think if you're holding them its okay to touch them. This way he will be completely covered. And I too will be in a blizzard here in MO. PLUS for some reason I feel like it'll be easy to rangle the 3 year old without a baby attached to me lol
Owner and designer of Butterfly Elephants, waldorf style dolls
Lady_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:39 AM   #24
upstategirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our second son just got a bit too big for his convertable so he's in the five point booster now. So, I'm thinking I'm just gong to use the convertable. It's sad but, I don't remember what we used for our second ds as a newborn. I think it was a carrier but, got the convertable on sale not to long after he was born. I remember taking him out and using a sling. So, unless I can get a used baby carrier that is not over it's years then I will use the convertable, and just take the baby out and use a sling again.
upstategirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:03 AM   #25
solarbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstategirl View Post
Our second son just got a bit too big for his convertable so he's in the five point booster now. So, I'm thinking I'm just gong to use the convertable. It's sad but, I don't remember what we used for our second ds as a newborn. I think it was a carrier but, got the convertable on sale not to long after he was born. I remember taking him out and using a sling. So, unless I can get a used baby carrier that is not over it's years then I will use the convertable, and just take the baby out and use a sling again.
Just be careful with used carseats. Unless you know the history of the seat, it would be better to buy new because you can never tell if the seat was in an accident or not.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:33 AM   #26
Fitter
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by javabarnes View Post
We used a convertible for a while with dd but then ended up buying a chicco keyfit 30. I LOVE that bucket so much! She is still in it today, we are looking for a new convertible for her because I don't like the one we have. I need to get her a new one soon so that we can get her used to a different seat and baby can have the bucket. I babywear too, but going into a resturant or something it would be nice to have a bucket. DD never really sat in it though unless I was by myself. If DH was with me (most of the time) we took turns holding her to eat and walking around stores. She didn't like being worn when she was tiny either. But now she wants to be worn a lot and the carrier is quickly becoming too small

I vote bucket because it is going to be cold out! I like to put baby in the seat inside where it is warm!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mOmof3 View Post
i got a snugride 35 for this baby. Never skipped the bucket even though i babywear most of the time. There is always moments im glad i had it like when its pouring rain and i dont want to pull the baby out in the rain.
ITA!

We babywear most of the time but I like the convienence of the bucket and they fit newborns so much better, so IMO they are the safer option.

Before baby is born we need to buy a new bucket seat b/c our old one has expired now. Oddly enough they way our carseats expiration dates are G will need a new seat ( I will get her a Graco nautilus and let her be FF now that she is 4). L needs a new convertible, not sure what I will buy. I have had good luck with Britax Marathons in the past. So I will need to buy three new carseats in the beginning of 2012 I may buy G's nautilus sooner, just to space them out a bit. Maybe buy one every few months until baby is here.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:35 PM   #27
foxygoober
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeuhhh View Post
foxy, i think the only reason why i got the coccoro is because it was the only thing that fit. i'd see if anything else fit before i got one, just because of the low weight limit (although like i said, my chubby 2.5 yo does fit in it, so hopefully we'll get at least a couple years outta it). when we're done with this, i plan to get another radian, assuming we still have the forester. the darn coccoros cost about two hundred bucks, blah!
Yea- I think that's about what my mom paid for Roman's seat-but it's pretty wide. Not a problem for the truck though. We have three big convertibles in the back with room to spare.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:19 PM   #28
stef.maska
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Another DDC.

I'm by no means an expert but with my DS this is what we did. bucket till 6 months and could sit up in grocery carts, meanwhile I found a good deal on a britax marathon. So born 4/22, and mid sept moved him to the convertible. Also used a Chicco C6 umbrella stroller for non cart situations.
I love the buckets for infants. We never wore DS, and I think that will change a little with #2, but I agree with the icy cold issues. I slipped once with ds in non icy conditions, and his carrier fell straight down about 5 inches, scared the crap out of me. And those crazy snow storms.
stef.maska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:02 PM   #29
audreyr
Registered Users
seller

We have a Chicco Key Fit 30 for my daughter that we have loved. She is almost 18 months and still fits in it, but I just bought her a Britax Blvd. so that the new baby can have the Key Fit. The bucket was really nice when she was under 3 months because she had a dairy sensitivity that we did not figure out right away (I had to stop drinking milk). Anyway, the only way we could get her to sleep was to drive around at all hours of the night. Needless to say, we would have been really unhappy if we had had to wake her up to bring her in the house.