Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-22-2011, 11:23 AM   #1
BESMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
BLW-sippy cups or shot glasses

Hey BLWers, what kind of cup are you giving your LO liquids in? Does BLW prefer to use or skip sippy cups?...or is the teaching not specific on this?

Advertisement

Old 08-22-2011, 12:47 PM   #2
skolbut
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: BLW-sippy cups or shot glasses

I'm not sure what the "official" answer is, but we did little cups for meals and sippy cups for all other times. Only water in the little cups unless eating outside (or having a tea party!).
B... newly type II diabetic, wife to B 9/16/05, mama to B 1/23/07 H 9/27/08 (after three years of GI issues FINALLY getting a celiac diagnosis!) and our miracle baby C who joined us 9/6/2011, and is forever greatful to his "milk mamas" who pump for us! We do lots of crunchy things and some soggy things, too.
skolbut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:52 PM   #3
neonalee
Registered Users
seller
seller

We were helping DS drink from a regular (but small) cup at first, then bought a sippy cup for when we were out. Then we realized he liked the sippy because he could grab a drink whenever he wanted. I still use the cup whenever I think he needs more water than he's getting but always have the sippy available as well.

Sent using DS Forum, please forgive typos
neonalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:59 PM   #4
Greenbabybottoms
Registered Users
seller
seller

I don't know the official answer either. For our girls though they had a ecousable bottle with a sports cap that they used with water when they weren't eating a meal. It's what they used around the house, in the car out and about etc. When they were sitting at the table eating meals they used the little ikea plastic kids cups. Both of my girls were drinking out of open top cups very well by about 13 months old.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:21 PM   #5
eragsdale
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We are doing straw cups and open cups. As soon as they are taking a bottle sitting up, they are ready to be taken off the bottle and into a open cup/cup with straw.I'm of the opinion that for CENTURIES kids were able to master open cups after they weaned so, so can today's kids.

Open Cup - Duralex Glass Cups/Bowls Cup with Straws - First Years
eragsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:42 PM   #6
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

I like sippy cups. So, that's what we use.

I have a friend whose daughter never used one and uses regular cups. Which is fine, except that she only gets water and never over carpet (atleast in my house) because she almost always ends up with water down her shirt and onto the floor. She's 19 months now. She's good with it, I guess.. but it's just too unpredictable to me.

I carry around a water bottle and even use it at the dinner table. I tell my daughter that mommy has a sippy cup and Maggie has a sippy cup.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:33 AM   #7
Buena
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i never though of a shot glass@ DH has a whole collection from traveling
Old 08-23-2011, 08:30 AM   #8
ks_girl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We used a shot glass (around 6months) at meal times. And a tippy cup to just keep out thru the day. Hes 20months now, very great w a cup (though some spills) and would prefer to use the cup over the tippy.
ks_girl is offline   Reply With Quote