Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-23-2011, 06:05 AM   #101
Servant4Christ
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: What my SIL said to me...

FYI: I can always tell who cd's vs sposies. The mamas who cd are the ones who actually look forward to changing a poopy diaper!

Advertisement

Servant4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:18 AM   #102
katieq22
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I agree with the fact that leaving a child in a sposie for a long time, especially when it is dirty is disgusting! But in defense to mamas that use them, I don't know anyone else who CD and I've never seen a baby left for a long time in a sposie. I used sposies on my first 3 children because I didn't have any info on cd and never thought of them as useful for soaking up a ton of urine in place of changing my baby. I just feel like especially for the new moms, I don't want you all to think that is the norm.
katieq22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:02 AM   #103
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

One of the reasons why I never wanted a baby before we were pregnant with my first daughter was because the way most babies smell- I had only ever been around babies that had disposable diapers and formula fed. (no offense to the FF's; I just think babies who are FF don't smell as good as breastfed babies). I discovered cloth diapers 4 months into being pregnant, and it changed my whole attitude about having a baby! Then I read about EC...and that seemed even better, lol.

I still can't stand the smell of disposables, and the thought of only changing on a few times a day is utterly repulsive.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:04 AM   #104
ExuberantDaffodil
Registered Users
seller

My sister does this. She even waits to change poopy diapers. And my little niece always has an awful looking diaper rash. My sister is very busy starting up her new business, but it really hurts me inside to see the babe not changed. I don't live in the same town, or I'd just offer to change the baby's diapers.

My hubby and I have always been the ones to change right after every little pee -- even if it was just a dribble. So maybe I'm just very sensitive to water-logged diapers.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:36 AM   #105
ltlmrs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramaynot View Post
Interestingly enough back in the Elizabethan times they only changed every couple days and in pioneer days they would simply dry the wet diapers and reuse them. So stretching your diapers as long as possible is nothing new but still none the less...
Eew. But, given the fact that people didn't bathe or wash their own intimate apparel too often back then either this is understandable. I just don't understand how in our super hygiene obsessed culture where everyone is constantly applying anti-bacterial lotion, vaccinating their kids against every little bug, washing clothes after they've only been tried on (I actually know people who do this ), etc we have people who think it's okay to leave a kid in a wet diaper.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:51 AM   #106
morethancjsmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I had been feeling the need to defend some of the sposies using public then... My 8 month old nephew needed a sitter for a few hours yesterday so I said sure. (my brother's 1st baby, take him any chance I get) So Teri (his maternal grandma) drops him off and runs. She was at my house for less than a minute! No, he ate at this time and slept and this time and last diaper was...(big pet peeve of mine not to get am update of a kid I am going to watch). Anyway, Brody was smelly so I check him and sure enough there's a marble in the diaper. Ask dd to bring me a diaper from his bag and she can't find one, umm ok don't send a 6 yr old to search a diaper bag right? No, I found one diaper that looked like it's lived in the bag for about 2 months. I know that his momma thinks cloth is gross but 1 diaper for 4-5 hours. So I put one of our CDs on Brody (not a problem for me). Brody progressively poops the rest of the time here and I end up changing 5 CDs! My brother shows up early (very shocking! Usually he asks to go fishing after work if I have Brody) at about 3 1/2 hours. Tell him that we need to change Brody out of the cd so that heather (brodys momma) doesn't get mad or throw out my cd (she has done that before!). My brother says oh, well you could have made 1 do. OH BOY did I set him straight! And made him look at the pooppy diapers that his son filled to prove my point there is no way! So brother tells me that money is tight this week and they are low on diapers. (I am a couponer and usually keep them supplied with diapers for really cheap but not always the huggies that heather likes). So last night I make a trip to the store and get a case of diapers and some groceries for them.
Any way I was so upset about my brother saying about using 1 diaper for all that poop that I was in tears. If you recall from an earlier post I am a nurse and I did tell Lloyd that if we treated residents like that that it would be neglect. I think he understood. Then as he was heading out my door I told him " your son is teething and miserable. Do something about it!". No I didn't win a popularity contest but guess what. They need me to watch Brody again today for a few hours. I am thankful that they understand that I am just looking out for their son's best interest and didn't take it to badly. Honesty I was worried when the next time I would be allowed to have Brody again would be.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

$49 unlimited talk/text plus unlimited data!
morethancjsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:02 AM   #107
Willum'smom
Registered Users
seller

I don't know if it's just me but I HATE the smell of a wet sposie. It smells so bad. We've used sposies on car trips a few times and I end up changing them way more than normal.I can't imagine the stink after that long in one diaper!
Old 08-23-2011, 09:21 AM   #108
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willum'smom
I don't know if it's just me but I HATE the smell of a wet sposie. It smells so bad. We've used sposies on car trips a few times and I end up changing them way more than normal.I can't imagine the stink after that long in one diaper!
I completely agree with you! Ds is in pull ups at night still and his trash can smells AWEFUL by the end of the week when trash day comes around. I'm pregnant and can't even walk in there most days.i make dh take care of it. And my BFF has a diaper genie in her little girls room and I nearly gag every time I walk in there....I'm really hoping I don't have this problem whe I start CDs on baby boy 2.
theonenonlymrssmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:28 AM   #109
mmmarmalade
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Um... I don't want to get slammed here, but as babies get older, they start to hold their urine for longer periods of time. Maybe not at 11 months, but certainly by 18-20 months you DON'T have to change them as often. Maybe her boy is early at learning to hold it? i know with my youngest, for the last year he was in diapers, I'd only change him 3-4 times a day because that's all he NEEDED. Of course, he was soaked through in the morning, but during the day he seemed to hold it a lot. Just a different POV. I absolutely do NOT advocate leaving a baby in any type of diaper for very long after they've wet, but every baby's different, and some really don't need that many changes. Just sayin'

Marmalade Baby
mmmarmalade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:37 AM   #110
ahenson
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willum'smom
This! We change every 2-3 hours, 4 max during daytime naps, and as soon as they wake up in the morning after sleeping 8-12 hours (newborn gets changed whenever I wake up and find him wet -- he sleeps through it and sleeps almost 7-10 hours at night with dream feeds). When we have used sposies a few times, we change them even more often because of the chemical stink! DH and cannot stand the smell.