Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-22-2011, 11:33 AM   #51
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Kindgarten question - esp for moms with kids near cutoff date

My daughter just missed the cutoff date, so I held her out. One of my daycare kids was going to kindergarten the year she could have probably gotten in early, but this other girl was much more mature than my daughter. I felt like I made the right choice.

She's entering college today in fact! I definitely know I made the right choice now. She did well in school, but socially she would have struggled if she'd been the youngest.

Advertisement

Old 08-22-2011, 03:39 PM   #52
BESMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My daughter is 24 days past the cutoff. We go to a private school, so the decision (burden) was totally ours whether to push her ahead or hold her to the cutoff. We started putting her in the class ahead when she was in pre-kindergarten, but we decided to have her "repeat the grade" to hold her to the cutoff. It was one of the best parenting decisions we ever made.

She has always been top of her class academically, but being the oldest in a class is much easier socially than being the youngest. I've heard with boys this is even more true.

At first I thought we failed her and she would get bored in school because she is so bright. This has not proven to be the case at all. She is a natural leader and loves being among the oldests in (now) 3rd grade.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:52 PM   #53
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Cutoff here is Aug. 1. I am surprised to see the later ones! For DD I would absolutely put her in, but DFS I would hold back if it was close. Different kids, and different personalities.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:19 PM   #54
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akids View Post
I would recommend having your child's preschool teacher or the kindergarten teachers do readiness testing for any child who might be borderline for kindergarten. I believe it is much better to start a little late than too early.
They did a Kindergarten "readiness" test for my son. The issue wasn't academics, it was being able to sit still (which they don't do in preschool much anyway) so I think their tests fall short. I think the mom would know more about if/when her child should start. I should have listened to my own instinct, but instead I listened to the test, which can't accurately measure. He know how to county to thirty, knew his abc's, all of his colors, could write his full name, etc but he wasn't ready in his maturity level. This started to show more in 1st and the end of 2nd. Even my son's teacher, who he had for 1st and 2nd said that if B were her son, she would have started him late.

Last edited by Vivhop98; 08-22-2011 at 04:21 PM.
Vivhop98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:47 PM   #55
aries416
Registered Users
seller

I would wait. There is typically nothing gained from starting a kid early and lot to be gained from starting late, especially a kid who might be borderline ready.

My daughter will turn 5 in July 5th and will start K (in 2 years) a couple weeks after. If she had been a boy, I am 99% sure I would have held her back. I will most likely send her at 5 depending on how preschool goes. If there's any doubt in my mind about her being ready, I will hold her back. I was a K teacher and the younger kids did struggle a lot more in the beginning of the year than the older ones.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:49 AM   #56
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The state that dd3 was born in had a cut off of Sept. 1st. She was born Sept 17th and I had in my head she would have been one of the oldest. Then last year we moved to a different state where the cut off is Sept. 30th. She was turning 3 last Sept. and I asked the preschool director if she should do the 2's or 3's. She talked to her for a little bit and said she would be really bored if she was in the 2's. So, she went into the 3's. She is going to be in the 4's this year and then the following year she will do PreK. Then when she is 5 going on 6 will be going to K. So, we are going to wait. I would much rather have her the oldest and if we had to, move her up rather than hold her back.

Ds was born in July and I'm thinking of doing the same with him as well. We have friends whose son turned 8 last week and is going into 3rd grade. His best friend turned 9 in July and is also going into 3rd grade.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:47 AM   #57
twirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The cutoff here is currently Dec 2. DD is a late Nov birthday (07), and I was leaning towards having her wait the extra year depending on how she fares in preschool and how she seems to be doing overall next spring/summer.

Now the state is making a transition over the next four years so that the cutoff date is more in line with other states. In 2012 it will be Nov. 1, in 2013 Oct.1, and 2014 Sept. 1. So unless I think DD really needs to go to K next year for some reason, I plan to abide by the cutoffs. They are also starting a new program called "transitional kindergarten" for children who miss the new cutoffs.