Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-21-2011, 06:58 PM   #1
Dawndelion
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Crotch Strap on Nautilus?

I am just about ready to get DD (3, 36", 30lbs) a Nautilus. She's currently in an Evenflo Triumph Advance, but we are having trouble getting the straps to stay where we put them, they keep sliding below shoulder level. My concern about the Nautilus is the crotch strap: I understand it can be too close for many children so they end up sitting on it. Anyone with experience want to comment on this for me before I try to pick up a Nautilus while I am close to a Target?

For the record, I drive an '09 Dodge Grand Caravan and she will be sitting in one of the middle captain seats. DS1 and DS2 are in TurboBoosters in the back. We won't be having any more children.

Advertisement

Dawndelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:25 AM   #2
jess71903
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Crotch Strap on Nautilus?

Are you sure you have the straps tight enough on the EFTA? There's really no way for them to fall too low if they are tight enough.

The Nautilus crotch strap "issue" isn't a safety issue. Some kids find it uncomfortable and many are just fine with it. If you want one, take it and try your DD in it and see what she thinks. I know a 5 year old, big girl in one and she has no issues with it.

Gage is Redefining Spina Bifida
jess71903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:13 AM   #3
Momof6girlz
Registered Users
Formerly: steenerson7
seller

My Mood:

My DD is almost 5 and we have no issues. She is tiny weight wise for her age but pretty tall
Not sure if that helps or not. Maybe take her with you and sit her in the seat and see what you think!
Old 08-22-2011, 12:58 PM   #4
Crew&West
Registered Users
Formerly: Crewsmom
seller

I would be a little concerned if the EFTA straps are moving at all. Ours don't move up or down at all. My ods is (soon to be) 3, 38lbs, and about 39in tall and when I put him in a GN at the store he hated it. He said the buckle hurt his pee pee. So we didn't go that route. He's in a Frontier now. I think they're good car seats, I just think they need to address that because I've heard it's quite a common complaint.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:08 PM   #5
jakossi
Registered Users
seller

DS is 45" & 44lbs. He's never had an issue in the GN.
jakossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:08 AM   #6
Dawndelion
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have followed all the rules to make sure the straps are tight enough on the EFTA. I don't know anyone else who has had this problem, my sister and my friend both have them as well, and my parents have one for their car that we have had no problems with. I'm assuming we got a defective one, but since we had no problems when it was rear facing it was a year and a half old before we realized it was an issue.

I tried DD in the Nautilus yesterday, and I was concerned about the strap until we took the body support out (she's on the second level up of shoulder straps so we can't use it) and now she is fine with the crotch strap in the first slot, so we'll be able to move it out to the second as she grows and it should be fine.

She is thrilled to have a "big girl" seat. DH was thrilled to get his baby girl a pink seat. And I was thrilled to get a seat I feel safer with for $50 under retail.
Dawndelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:11 AM   #7
idnar82
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD is 5 1/2, 47 inches tall and 47lbs. She fits just fine in her Nautilus :-) No crotch strap troubles at all :-) Love this seat!!
Old 08-23-2011, 05:33 AM   #8
skolbut
Registered Users
seller
seller

DS1 rides in one. He's 42 or 43" tall and right at 40 lbs. If we clip into the crotch strap first, before the chest clip, he doesn't complain about the snugness.
B... newly type II diabetic, wife to B 9/16/05, mama to B 1/23/07 H 9/27/08 (after three years of GI issues FINALLY getting a celiac diagnosis!) and our miracle baby C who joined us 9/6/2011, and is forever greatful to his "milk mamas" who pump for us! We do lots of crunchy things and some soggy things, too.
skolbut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:08 PM   #9
redneckmama
Registered Users
Formerly: lilybugsmomma
seller

My Mood:
DD1 is 4 1/2, 42", and 43lbs and she has never complained about anything on her Nautilus.