Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-24-2011, 07:05 PM   #1
swingkid1975
Registered Users

2 year old tantrums

My 23 month old has overnight gone from a very sweet, happy, cooperative child to a screaming demon from the time she wakes up to the time I leave her at daycare, and then again when I pick her up until she goes to bed. She throws a tantrum about everything now, from having to get dressed to not being allowed to drink the cup of 2 day old milk that she hid in the oven warmer drawer that I just found.

She went through a very brief stage of always wanting to be picked up and carried at about 9-10 months and now it's back. She refuses to walk anywhere and throws a tantrum to be picked up. If I tell her she can walk and I'm not going to pick her up she screams. If I do pick her up she still continues to cry. She will cry and scream for an hour straight, and her poor little eyes are swollen, and she can't be distracted. I've ended up crying the last two days due to frustration and nothing I do makes it better. I ignore them, I hug her to help her calm down, I ask her to tell me or show me what she wants, etc.

Even when I give her choices about things like what clothes to wear she says no to everything and then throws a fit. Help!!! I know tantrums at this age are normal, but I feel like hers are out of control and I don't know how to respond to them and how to tell if they're normal toddler behavior or whether something is wrong with her.

Advertisement