Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-25-2011, 07:33 AM   #1
KrystleO_1027
Registered Users

What would you do? hand/foot/mouth related

I have a good friend that has an almost 6 month old daughter. She lives with her mother and he only gets her 1x a week. I work nights, he work days, so i've only met her once. I'm working days today so we made plans to get together so i can see her and DS can meet her (DS loves his other DD who is 6)

He told me last night that she has Hand foot mouth disease. Got diagnosed Monday, still has spots on her hands. I know it's highly contagious.

BUT, i also know it's like chicken pox. Once you get it, you develop immunity and don't get it again. And DS had it almost a year ago, pretty badly. And that adults CAN get it but it's rare, because most are exposed as children.

So i guess what i'm asking, is am i crazy for even CONSIDERING still seeing them? If the risk is low that DS will get it, i did not get it when he had it BUT his father (does not live with us) and his Aunt (father's sister) both caught it from them...so i'm thinking they were never exposed as kids (since they are siblings)

Would you "risk" it? I've talked to him today and she is acting fine, not acting sick at all, so she's not miserable.

Would you do it?

Advertisement

Old 08-25-2011, 07:51 AM   #2
MamandÉlise&Muriel
Registered Users
Formerly: Mamandelise
seller

Re: What would you do? hand/foot/mouth related

So your ds has had it? If yes, then I'd go. How much contact will you have with the friend's daughter anyway? My concern is never really for me getting sick but for my kids. HFM is terrible so I'd avoid it if your ds hasn't had it but otherwise, I'd go for it.
MamandÉlise&Muriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:55 AM   #3
KrystleO_1027
Registered Users

Yes, he had it almost a year ago. His was a pretty bad case, he was miserable and had lots of blisters in his mouth and on his hands. (Dr. Diagnosed as HFM)

I'll probably be holding and playing with her, not sure how much DS will actually have her as he's not too interested in babies, but never know.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:35 AM   #4
paper_girl_76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

well, my ds has had it 2 times....and people do get chicken pox several times as well. Most don't but it does happen. I don't tend to worry about most illnesses, but I would skip the visit if it were me.