Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-26-2011, 01:01 AM   #1
LadyofReason
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Bleach and pockets

It's looking like I'm going to need to add a little bit of bleach each time I wash diapers. Adding vinegar to the first rinse has mostly taken care of the ammonia, but there is still a little left and now I am back to having the barn yard smell too. I'm talking about just enough bleach to cover the bottom of my glass one cup measuring cup.
Can I do this and still leave my pockets in, or will this end up being too much bleach for them? Do I need to wash my pockets and covers separately so they don't get bleach as often?
I'm hoping since I'm using such a small amount, it won't affect them.
I have a HE front loader if that makes a difference.

Advertisement

Old 08-26-2011, 05:13 AM   #2
blackberry75
Registered Users

Re: Bleach and pockets

You might not have to bleach every load. I use bleach once a month and that seems to be doing good enough. However I spray every diaper and let them dry before it goes in the pail-wet or poopy.

Make sure you're using the correct amount of detergent for the amount of water being used during the wash cycle as well. Not enough detergent is far worse than to much. IME it's easier to correct the ills of to much detergent than the bacteria growth from to little. Same goes for the bleach. If they are to diluted in the water, they can't do their job-especially in hard water.

Bleach will wear down fabric over time. It's the nature of the beast. You can also try adding an oxygen bleach (such as oxyclean) every load, and only do the bleach once every month or 2. Oxygen bleaches are far gentler on fabrics/elastic long term than chlorine bleaches.
blackberry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:22 AM   #3
LadyofReason
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Oxygen bleach isn't cutting it for us. I have been adding that each time.
I was going to say that waiting even one day to bleach didn't work before, but then I realized that was when the ammonia was so horrible. I'll try again now and see if it will work.