Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-26-2011, 06:58 PM   #1
*Alabamamom*
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Anyone else have hypothyroidism?

I don't actually have a thyroid.. had it removed in 2009 due to Grave's disease so it had a lot of cysts and nodules and was making my very hyperthyroid.. So since I have found out I am pregnant, my meds have not been high enough.. tsh was found to be 16.59 at 6 wks, so I increased up to the next dosage.. after being sick and very depressed for weeks, I was checked again and I am still hypo at 8.64.. So now I am going up again.. I am concerned and worried what this means for the baby? Is it going to affect it's growth or make something be wrong with it? I was hyperthyroid with DS (before my surgery), but all was fine with him.. I know I shouldn't google but I did and seen some things saying that the baby might have delayed brain development..

Advertisement

Granna to two amazing grandsons!! <3
*Alabamamom* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:01 PM   #2
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone else have hypothyroidism?

I would definitely stay on top of it. I don't have experience with it personally, but my midwife told me that she suffered 8 miscarriages before she learned that she had hypothyroidism. She would carry them to 10 or 12 weeks and then miscarry. Has your research told you what is an acceptable range for your TSH during pregnancy? It sounds like you're addressing it early, so hopefully it will be okay for your babe's development.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:33 AM   #3
*Alabamamom*
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Baby seems to be growing right on target otherwise, heartrate always between 160-lower 180s.. Looks like the best range is higher end of normal.. So hopefully after this increase, that is where I will be. I just worry since the most crucial trimester is over, if the baby will be ok.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:54 AM   #4
becky1231
Registered Users

I am hypo and have had three very healthy kids even with my thyroid being messed up. It was very hard to get the right dose for me with my second pregnancy. For me none of my kids suffered any ill effects from it.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:10 AM   #5
*Alabamamom*
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by becky1231 View Post
I am hypo and have had three very healthy kids even with my thyroid being messed up. It was very hard to get the right dose for me with my second pregnancy. For me none of my kids suffered any ill effects from it.
This is EXACTLY what I was hoping to hear!!! Thank you thank you!!!
Old 08-27-2011, 09:16 AM   #6
becky1231
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Alabamamom* View Post
This is EXACTLY what I was hoping to hear!!! Thank you thank you!!!
I know how your feeling because I had all the same fears going through my head. My Dr. told me with my last one that I wouldn't carry him to term because my thyroid was so messed up and I did carry him to term and he is sitting here almost 3 years later talking up a storm and naughty as can be lol
Old 08-28-2011, 09:41 AM   #7
blueone
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have hypothyroid. I didn't need my medications altered while pregnant with my son and I don't expect it this time either. It was after pregnancy that I needed it tweaked. My son is healthy too!
Old 08-29-2011, 09:07 AM   #8
*Alabamamom*
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I have had to have my meds increased twice so far.. OB & fam doc said it was normal during pregnancy. I just wish it didn't get so crazy to begin with. My tsh went up to 16.59 when I was just 6 weeks along (levels were fine before getting pg).. so they upped me then.. (lowest increment of 12mcg).. and recently they found it was a little improved in comparison, but still hypo at 8.64 (normal is 0.3-3.0).. so up another 12mcg, so maybe this will get things will be ok soon.. All seems ok with baby.. I know it's growing, I keep having the round ligament pain this past week.. and I find it's heartbeat super easy.. I just got alarmed to read about the brain development thing... It is comforting to read that yours was out of control at times, yet your baby is fine.. How far along with you when they finally got your dosage right? Thank you so much!
Old 08-29-2011, 09:32 AM   #9
becky1231
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Alabamamom* View Post
I have had to have my meds increased twice so far.. OB & fam doc said it was normal during pregnancy. I just wish it didn't get so crazy to begin with. My tsh went up to 16.59 when I was just 6 weeks along (levels were fine before getting pg).. so they upped me then.. (lowest increment of 12mcg).. and recently they found it was a little improved in comparison, but still hypo at 8.64 (normal is 0.3-3.0).. so up another 12mcg, so maybe this will get things will be ok soon.. All seems ok with baby.. I know it's growing, I keep having the round ligament pain this past week.. and I find it's heartbeat super easy.. I just got alarmed to read about the brain development thing... It is comforting to read that yours was out of control at times, yet your baby is fine.. How far along with you when they finally got your dosage right? Thank you so much!
From the reading I did when I was preggo what I found was that the baby is using what it needs first ( per usual with pregnancy) and that we are the ones that are lacking not the baby. He or she is getting what she needs but we become deficient in the process. <3
My levels changed multiple times with each pregnancy and they never went back to what they were pre pregnancy.