Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-30-2007, 10:17 AM   #1
Mom2Seth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Wool newbie question

I know nothing about wool, so this is probably a really "duh" question, but here it goes....

Is all wool created equal? Or are some more "absorbant" than others? I'm looking for a bullet-proof nighttime solution for my extremely heavy wetter. Still havn't found any pocket/insert combos to work so I'm moving to wool, possibly. Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 06-30-2007, 10:27 AM   #2
mommypatton521
Banned
seller

My Mood:
Re: Wool newbie question

#1 no not all wool is created equal, some are softer, thicker, etc.
#2 Wool isn't "absorbent" it is a cover that goes over a fitted. Each soaker is only as good as the fitted under it. You should lanolize the wool and that helps it become more waterproof/resistant

#3 Bullet proof yarns in my experience are - Targhee, peregrine merino(which you can get at three irish girls) those are by far the BEST for nighttime in my research. I have heard peace fleece is good for nighttime but I HATE peace fleece it starts off kinda not so soft and I don't like yarns that I have to work with to make soft LOL. BUT peace fleece is cheaper. So really you do get what you pay for.

I suggest bedbugs from holden's landing or lullaby dreams those are fantastic. ALSO i've heard great things about fluffymail nightlites.
mommypatton521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 10:38 AM   #3
mengmommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I just knitted (my first knitting project ever, well, and my mom's tiny dog's coat) a cover out of some merino I got from Michael's and some thick/thin wool yarn for trim that I got from Ben Franklin's. Its a lot more capable of keeping our bed dry than anything else we've done so far...and with less stuffing. So I'm sure there is something that would block *all* wetness.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:46 AM   #4
Meredith+2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have great luck with our well worn Aristocrats. They're not fancy, and pretty felted in the crotch, but I swear they'll hold a lake.
Meredith+2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 11:19 AM   #5
~Woollybottoms Mama~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with the pp. Wool can vary extremely one from another. If you have an extreme heavy wetter, I recommend Aristocrats, Lana, or felted recycled wools. As for knitted, peace fleece works great (but it is not quite as soft) or a good tight crocheted wool works wonderfully. Some interlock will work great, but interlock can also vary greatly in thickness.
~Woollybottoms Mama~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 11:52 AM   #6
Righteous Recycles
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wool does absorb some moisture, generally the heavier the wool, the more it will absorb.
Righteous Recycles is offline   Reply With Quote