Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2011, 10:34 PM   #11
MaBacon's Avatar
MaBacon
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Central MN
Posts: 1,336
Re: I'm high risk, not sure if benefits outweigh..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissed by the Moon View Post
So I guess I'm just debating how safe/unsafe it would be for me/baby and what can be done to reduce the risk. The hard part is that the safest is a vbac, then scheduled c, and last, a failed vbac to c section. So do I try for vbac and hope it's successful, or jump to the scheduled c section? hmm.
A VBAC is not always the safest option, especially in high risk pregnancies. If I were in your shoes I would not opt for a vbac knowing that you have IC. I would go for a scheduled c/s. Also after having 2 c/s, the incision site is weakened. I'm guessing this is part of what your dr was trying to say- you have a higher risk of rupture. With my prior 2 c/s my incision started hurting really bad by 34wks and that on top of everything else is what made my OB deliver our DS3. She feared rupture if we labored any longer as I had been in PTL since 18wks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAugust View Post
I don't know... I almost think it's.... irresponsible to go into another pregnancy knowing you're likely to have another VERY early baby. My babies were only 3 and 5 weeks early and that is enough to make me reconsider a #3. I just feel like I want to give my babies the best start possible, and the possibility of having one earlier than 35 weeks is scary to me. I just would feel terrible knowing I am making the choice to put my own child through that much hardship so early on. I truly don't mean to be mean, I hope you don't take it that way. That's just my feelings on it, and why I would NOT have another if I were you (and seriously debate in my own situation). Is adoption not an option for you guys? Not everyone wants to adopt, but that's something we're considering.
I really don't think that someone should give up their dream of a family just because they have a preemie. We've been though more hurdles than one could want trying to get our family. Yes we've been though hell, but I take one look at my kids and know the weekly apts/US's/meds/NICU time was all worth it for them to be in my arms today. Really I think with the right medical team she should be fine to have another healthy baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody View Post
You have 19 children!? Wow go mama!

I've had 17 pregnancies with 19 babies yes. I can have my own 19 kids and counting show but it would be very different as we only have 4 living kids all of which were preemies. We've had 10- 1st trimester losses (one was our ds2's twin), 2 ectopics (one was a m/c twin & ectopic pg) and a 2T loss of our dd Abigail to trisomy 18.

Advertisement

__________________
Jen, Wife & SAHM to 4 miracle preemies Avery, Calla, Elliott & Oliver. Forever missing Abigail born too soon with trisomy 18 & our other 16 angels.
Follow my money saving-recipe blog!
MaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:31 PM   #12
Zepp's Avatar
Zepp
DS Addict
Formerly: K*B*T*M*
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 7,272
My Mood:
Re: I'm high risk, not sure if benefits outweigh..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAugust View Post
I don't know... I almost think it's.... irresponsible to go into another pregnancy knowing you're likely to have another VERY early baby. My babies were only 3 and 5 weeks early and that is enough to make me reconsider a #3. I just feel like I want to give my babies the best start possible, and the possibility of having one earlier than 35 weeks is scary to me. I just would feel terrible knowing I am making the choice to put my own child through that much hardship so early on. I truly don't mean to be mean, I hope you don't take it that way. That's just my feelings on it, and why I would NOT have another if I were you (and seriously debate in my own situation). Is adoption not an option for you guys? Not everyone wants to adopt, but that's something we're considering.
I see what you are saying, and this is weighing in my decision of whether to even try for a pregnancy. However, I do think it'd be possible to have a later baby, as I've seen it happen with the use of shots, bedrest, etc. With my last baby, I wasn't offered (and didn't think I was at risk, so never asked) anything as far as keeping the baby in longer. I was on my feet all day (I'm a teacher) thinking I could be superwoman, no problem. Now I'm well aware of what "might" happen and would have to force myself to sit and to do whatever else is needed. This is why I plan on speaking to a high risk specialist before getting pregnant.

Did you have complications with yours? Mine born at 34 weeks had none, and with #2, yes, we spent a lot of time in the hospital and yes, we went through terrible hardships, but I guess with babies, you tend not to (at least not me) dwell on the negatives and focus on the great love they bring. To me, I'm at a point where I would LOVE a third kid. yes, we don't NEED it, but telling someone who wants a child so badly that they probably shouldn't is heartwrenching. Yes we could adopt. Or even surrogacy. But we don't have money to do this, so if it came that, we just wouldn't have another.


Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcake2386 View Post
find a new dr. i love my dr but when we ttc again i will have to find a new one(way too far to drive) im so scared of finding one who is "as good" or better. i have a blood disorder that leads to PTL, IUGR, reduced blood flow to the placenta and clotting issues. we have lost every other baby ds stayed in until 36 w 2 d and i totally give all the credit to my awesome drs. for the first time in 5 pregnancies i was not on full bedrest, i got 17p injections starting at 16 weeks and ending at 35 weeks 2 days(the shot lasts a week and that was true in my case), baby aspirin daily, weekly u/s starting at 24 weeks(biweekly before that to check for cervical change). gosh i dont even remember what else. and guess what? i want more. at least 7 more dh on the other hand is scared but im hoping he will come around...soon.
id call around. see if you can get some referrals from friends. maybe the dr will meet with you to talk before you actually become a patient??? GL
You've been through a lot too. I'm glad that the injections worked for you. This is something I hope could work for me too. Did you end up doing a c section? I found a doc (a guy) that has gotten good reviews for his bedside manner. He's an expert and has done a lot for infertility..you are right that it may be a good idea to talk to him before I switch. I'm not sure how I'd go about mentioning why I want to switch.



Quote:
Originally Posted by MaBacon View Post
A VBAC is not always the safest option, especially in high risk pregnancies. If I were in your shoes I would not opt for a vbac knowing that you have IC.

I really don't think that someone should give up their dream of a family just because they have a preemie. We've been though more hurdles than one could want trying to get our family. Yes we've been though hell, but I take one look at my kids and know the weekly apts/US's/meds/NICU time was all worth it for them to be in my arms today. Really I think with the right medical team she should be fine to have another healthy baby.
Yup, I'm still undecided on the vba2c or c section..I just want to make sure I get all of the info before making that decision. And I agree with the above!
__________________
mama of two lovely kids!
Zepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:37 AM   #13
shortcake2386's Avatar
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Georgia
Posts: 26,069
My Mood:
Re: I'm high risk, not sure if benefits outweigh..

all mine were vaginal so thats something i havent had to stress about.
__________________
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:04 PM   #14
tooker2010's Avatar
tooker2010
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: the middle of nowhere
Posts: 374
My Mood:
Re: I'm high risk, not sure if benefits outweigh..

If you live near a metropolitan area you should be able to find a high risk pregnancy specialist. A specialist will be better able to give you reliable info and be able to handle specialized care without trouble and probably be better at anticipating complications. If you don't live near a metro area you still may be able to find a high risk OB. Just ask about it when you are calling /interviewing drs
__________________
Check out My Website at http://disciplescrossbysarah.com/
WAHM student to DD 03/10 , an early loss 10/11 and Air Force Wife
tooker2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:40 PM   #15
aubreyaks's Avatar
aubreyaks
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,075
Re: I'm high risk, not sure if benefits outweigh..

Some good resources are the ICAN network, especially if you do decide to do a vaginal birth, these women are amazingly supportive. Also, find a midwife if you can for a consult, not that you have to switch your care to a midwife, but I love midwives because I find them to be incredibly helpful and informative, and they may be able to point you toward the right doctor. Adding hypnosis to your care can definitely help as well. I used Hypnobabies for my babies birth and loved it so much I can't stop talking about it, there are some tracks that they offer that are meant to help baby stay in, and there are some c section tracks as well for moms who are planning a c section birth. There can be so many worries as a mom, but if you both feel your family would be more complete with one more baby, I say go for it! And good luck to you!
__________________
HYPNOBABIES classes in utah county, classes forming now! www.utahvalleyhypnobabies.com
aubreyaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:52 PM   #16
Dewberri's Avatar
Dewberri
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: VA
Posts: 1,022
Re: I'm high risk, not sure if benefits outweigh..

Have you talked to your friends about their OBs? THat's how I found my current OB... I'm not sure I'd have made it through my last MCs to TTC again without the Drs at the current practice Otherwise, I agree with some of the PPs - try to find a high risk specialist. Happy hunting
__________________
SAHM/WAHM to a beautiful little monkey 02/09
Wife to love of 9 years Aspiring teacher working on M Ed,
Grieving multiple 1T losses. Currently and hoping for a miracle EDD 06/12


My hobby: Fluff-n-Stuff -> Temp. on hold while I rebuild my stash for the newbie
Dewberri is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.