Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-28-2011, 07:09 PM   #1
ambersrose
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
BaByQ-baby celebration and gifts

My best girlfriend is helping me throw a relaxed family friendly barbeque to celebrate our family's soon to arrive baby girl. We are planning it for two weeks before the baby is due (I dont have a history of going early). This is my third baby and I do not need much for the baby nor do I feel comfortable asking for gifts. The invitations do not address gifts at all since I feel addressing gifts on an invite is not okay. I know I will be asked by at least one or two people whether or not it is a gift giving event. I dont want to say no but I dont want to say yes either. I feel that gifts should be given if a giver feels the desire not the obligation. I dont want this to be an obligatory gift occasion but if our friends want to bring a gift for the baby I want them to feel welcome to do that as well (I have some crafty friends who love to make baby items). Am I making this too complicated? Should I just say no gifts and those who want to bring the baby a gift after she is born can do that?

Also, has anyone done a baby BBQ before? Would love to hear what others have done with this idea!

Advertisement

Old 08-29-2011, 01:37 PM   #2
goatgeek
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambersrose
My best girlfriend is helping me throw a relaxed family friendly barbeque to celebrate our family's soon to arrive baby girl. We are planning it for two weeks before the baby is due (I dont have a history of going early). This is my third baby and I do not need much for the baby nor do I feel comfortable asking for gifts. The invitations do not address gifts at all since I feel addressing gifts on an invite is not okay. I know I will be asked by at least one or two people whether or not it is a gift giving event. I dont want to say no but I dont want to say yes either. I feel that gifts should be given if a giver feels the desire not the obligation. I dont want this to be an obligatory gift occasion but if our friends want to bring a gift for the baby I want them to feel welcome to do that as well (I have some crafty friends who love to make baby items). Am I making this too complicated? Should I just say no gifts and those who want to bring the baby a gift after she is born can do that?

Also, has anyone done a baby BBQ before? Would love to hear what others have done with this idea!
I think since it's a baby event just leave it be and those that want to will.it's cool that it's a BBQ also so not technically a shower=bring gifts event type thing.kwim?it sounds very casual and relaxed so doesn't seem like there's pressure to gift but you could if you want.
I haven't had one but it sounds like a great alternative to the shower,have a great time
goatgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:28 PM   #3
phobiafied
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: BaByQ-baby celebration and gifts

Just wanted to say that I love the idea of a BabyQ!

If it were me, I would just say no when people ask about gifts... those that really want to give something at the party will still bring them.
phobiafied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:49 PM   #4
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

:wave2: Just saying hi. A babyQ sounds lovely.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:07 PM   #5
Squeaky McMurdo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For my second baby we had a get-together and I just put on the invites "Gifts are appreciated, but not necessary." I know you don't really want to address gifts on the invites, but my feeling is that if you were to say that to someone in person, they might feel uncomfortable about not bringing a gift, because they might feel like you are just saying that to them instead of everyone.

My ISO/IHA I'm looking for a Cosco Pronto cover in "Cars" preferably.
Squeaky McMurdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:29 PM   #6
ambersrose
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatoabunch View Post
:wave2: Just saying hi. A babyQ sounds lovely.
Hi Annabelle!

I have been thinking about this and realize I am making a simple thing too complicated. I am just going to let everyone know it is not a gift giving event and leave it at that. If people want to give the baby gifts they can do that when they come visit after she is born and then no one feels pressure to bring anything. Simple!
Old 08-30-2011, 08:25 AM   #7
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambersrose View Post
Hi Annabelle!

I have been thinking about this and realize I am making a simple thing too complicated. I am just going to let everyone know it is not a gift giving event and leave it at that. If people want to give the baby gifts they can do that when they come visit after she is born and then no one feels pressure to bring anything. Simple!
ITA. Just enjoy these last few weeks. It is magical!