Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-30-2011, 09:34 AM   #1
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Do you think there's a way...

to encourage thumb/finger sucking? My older 2 did it on their own by 3.5-4 months (and still do at 4 & 6!). I'm sure many want to discourage it but even though I have no idea how to get my olders to stop, it was great when they were babies and could easily soothe themselves. I never had to even debate in my mind CIO because they eventually went to sleep on their own.

Now ds 3 won't take a paci. He will often stick his thumb in his mouth while nursing and try to suck both me and his thumb! He will also suck on his thumb or fingers at times he's already relaxed and happy. But if I try the whole "put him down drowsy" thing, he'll cry and scream and not even attempt to suck his thumb. He just wants me as a pacifier. I can nurse/rock him to sleep but he often wakes when I try to put him down.

He really needs sleep and he's not getting good naps when I hold him or wear him. He really needs to nap in his crib. I part time co-sleep at night. He starts in his crib and when he wakes I get in bed with him. It seems he's nursing a lot more at night and I don't know if it's hunger or comfort.

Advertisement

Old 08-31-2011, 04:35 PM   #2
adavieau
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you think there's a way...

I don't know but I'm right there with you. My oldest would not take a paci for anything, acted like we were gagging her (tried every kind available) same with my oldest ds but he found his thumb at three months and it was great, helped him fall right asleep. My youngest ds is almost three months (again won't take a paci) and I'm really hoping he finds his thumb. He's started to suck on his fists but is still at the stage where he hasn't figured out how to isolate a finger or thumb and can't get them to his mouth consistently.
adavieau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:14 PM   #3
Greenebean214
Registered Users
seller

My DD just found her thumb and she won't stop! She was taking a paci but not anymore. She gave herself a hickey on her arm trying to find her fingers/thumb the other day! She is 3.5 months old and literally started out of nowhere this past week.

Hopefully your DS will figure out a way to soothe himself!

Welcomed Liberty Grace May 12, 2011!
Greenebean214 is offline   Reply With Quote