Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-30-2011, 07:01 PM   #1
jessicacarol
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Interesting VBAC and EPO info

At my last appointment with my doctor I asked about ways to facilitate this labor as I prepare to have a VBAC. I asked specifically about EPO and she said DO NOT use as it can increase the risk of rupture similar to the use of cervidal and other cervex ripening drugs. I had never heard that, any one else getting contradicting info or heard this before?

Advertisement

Old 08-30-2011, 07:03 PM   #2
dornmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Interesting VBAC and EPO info

I have never heard this before! EPO works SO gently unlike medical cervical ripeners. It's like saying don't have sex because the semen, which is a cervical ripener, could increase your risk of rupture. Sounds like she got some bad information about EPO.
Terra, wife to James (10.16.05), mama to Sasha (born via c/s 8.4.06), my sweet angel boy in heaven Glenn (born still on 5.2.08 my VBAC angel), George (born via VBAC on 11.17.09), June 2011 and September 2011 .
dornmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:19 PM   #3
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:

Yeah I have to agree..it's no more potent than semen. I have used it in all 3 of my pregnancies and never had my membranes rupture. It *could* happen I suppose, which is why they say to only use it vaginally after 37 weeks. But I honestly think it would only happen if your body was ready to go into labor.
USMCgirl_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:52 PM   #4
jessicacarol
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I did some looking around and it looks like a concern may be that it could not only soften you cervex but also your scar tissue. So this leaves me to wonder if it is stronger than semen?
Old 08-31-2011, 07:24 AM   #5
dornmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Do you mind sharing what you found? It really just doesn't seem to add up to me.
Terra, wife to James (10.16.05), mama to Sasha (born via c/s 8.4.06), my sweet angel boy in heaven Glenn (born still on 5.2.08 my VBAC angel), George (born via VBAC on 11.17.09), June 2011 and September 2011 .
Old 08-31-2011, 07:53 AM   #6
dornmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Okay I've been reading up on this and think I've come up with a few things. It looks like the main ingredient in EPO that helps women is GMA -Gamma Linolenic Acid. This acid is NOT a Prostaglandin, but it does help our bodies produce natural Prostaglandin which is what causes our cervix to dilate and what regulate the contraction and relaxation of smooth muscle tissue.

I have read that topical EPO can be used to help soften scar tissue. I believe this is cause more by the natural vitamin E that is also contained in EPO. At no point is the EPO every directly applied to the uterine scar (of course! LOL) so I do not see how it could weaken the actual scar on the uterus once you know how EPO works. In all honesty, after ready about the real health benefits of EPO I think I may consider taking it in small does through out my entire pregnancy instead of just mega doses at the end.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:09 AM   #7
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I haven't found that to be true for me. I have taken epo in all 9 of my VBACs, all easy HB's, no rupture of course.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:31 AM   #8
elliebella
DO NOT s/T with! Unresolved transaction issues!

My Mood:

Last edited by elliebella; 02-07-2013 at 11:30 PM.
elliebella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:52 AM   #9
jessicacarol
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dornmama View Post
Do you mind sharing what you found? It really just doesn't seem to add up to me.
I really did not find anything concrete, just references, other message boards, etc. I would think that if there was a real concern that it would be research more and I would have uncovered some concrete information. I am just in my own little personal struggle between following my doctor's advice or doing just the opposite. I have not really seen any conceret evidence that it helps with TOL and VBACs either...just see a lot of personal stories that it "helped", "think it may have helped" or "did not make a differnece". Does anyone have any research or stats that support the use of EPO?
Old 08-31-2011, 05:54 PM   #10
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

No reasearch, but I did ask my ob if it was ok to use last pg(my 2nd vbac) and she said no problem.....she is pretty relaxed about most things like RRL etc but I just like to run things by her just in case.......