Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-31-2011, 08:24 PM   #1
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

"Secondary" infertility or age-related?

My situation:
When I was 18, I m/c twins (I was TTP) with high school boyfriend .

from ages 23-27, I had 4 sons with my (now) XH
DS1- TTP
DS2- kinda TTP
DS3- neither trying nor preventing
DS4- neither trying nor preventing

When I was 39, I got pregnant with DS5, TTC (1st month).

Now he is 15 months old. I have not used any BC at all. I have had a period every month since he was 6 wks old even though we EBF for 8 months and still nurse on demand and thru the night. I have been actively trying for months now since I realized I was o-ing.
The reason I gave you my background of TTP, etc is to show that I haven't had any fertility issues in the past. This is new to me. I turn 41 in a few weeks.
So, I am wondering if it is age-related or what? I haven't done anything besides knowing when I ovulate, etc. Like I haven't and won't get fertility tests or treatments (money and other issues). Has anyone else experienced "later in life" infertility after plenty of fertility?
Thanks mamas

Advertisement

Last edited by bluedaisyma; 08-31-2011 at 08:28 PM.
bluedaisyma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:38 PM   #2
Sageac
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: "Secondary" infertility or age-related?

Hi there,
some women "cycle" PP without actually releasing an egg. This is more common when nursing (at all) and especially common in women over 40. since you are *both* nursing and over 40, I would suggest that is probably what is happening. If you are desperate to concieve, llook for a copy of Susan Weed's "herbal for the childbearing year" and look into natural ways to increase hormones (like taking some motherswort with tea). It might affect the taste/supply of your milk tho.
HTH

Minimal, Communal, Earthy, Crafty Loving Single-Mama to C E : R and baby D
Sageac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:38 PM   #3
willownz
Registered Users

My Mood:

It might be age related, you can only tell if you get the hormone tests done, but your percentage chance of getting pregnant every month does decrease hugely in your fourties but plenty of women have babies then. I am not as old as you (i'm 31) but I have had hard times achieving pregnancy.
I got pregnant with my first by accident at 25 and then when we tried to conceive #2 I was 26. I conceived, lost the baby at 10 weeks. 3 months later conceived again, lost at 6-7 weeks, conceived again 2 months later but lost at 6 weeks, it then took 7 month to conceive again and that one stuck. It took 8 months to conceive baby 3 another miscarriage again before that. The average time for conception is 12 months, but 18 months is not unheard of even with perfect fertility.
If you are sure you are ovulating and nothign is happen the only thing to know really for sure is a doc visit and all the tests. I do know that Perimenopause can boost fertility temporarily.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:54 PM   #4
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sageac View Post
Hi there,
some women "cycle" PP without actually releasing an egg. This is more common when nursing (at all) and especially common in women over 40. since you are *both* nursing and over 40, I would suggest that is probably what is happening. If you are desperate to concieve, llook for a copy of Susan Weed's "herbal for the childbearing year" and look into natural ways to increase hormones (like taking some motherswort with tea). It might affect the taste/supply of your milk tho.
HTH
Thanks for your thoughts and advice! I do have that book, so I will have to look at the section of the book. My concern would be if it affected my milk (I haven't even used yam cream bc of concerns about my milk) supply bc I have no plans on weaning any time soon, even if that meant no pregnancy.
yeah, i wondered about the "cycle without releasing an egg" but i was using the wondfo sticks and it showed I was o-ing, and I am also having ovulation symptoms every month- the egg-white mucus, etc. (I did NFP for years, so I am pretty in tune with what goes in my body). So, I can't not release an egg AND still ovulate, right? It's really confusing to me this time bc it is the 1st time I am actually TTC and also the 1st time I have had AF so early with EBF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willownz View Post
It might be age related, you can only tell if you get the hormone tests done, but your percentage chance of getting pregnant every month does decrease hugely in your fourties but plenty of women have babies then. I am not as old as you (i'm 31) but I have had hard times achieving pregnancy.
I got pregnant with my first by accident at 25 and then when we tried to conceive #2 I was 26. I conceived, lost the baby at 10 weeks. 3 months later conceived again, lost at 6-7 weeks, conceived again 2 months later but lost at 6 weeks, it then took 7 month to conceive again and that one stuck. It took 8 months to conceive baby 3 another miscarriage again before that. The average time for conception is 12 months, but 18 months is not unheard of even with perfect fertility.
If you are sure you are ovulating and nothign is happen the only thing to know really for sure is a doc visit and all the tests. I do know that Perimenopause can boost fertility temporarily.
I am sorry for your losses . Thanks for taking the time to respond. I was actually worried that I am perimenopausal bc of a few things and so that would help (if it did boost my fertility), one would hope.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:10 AM   #5
Sageac
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

[QUOTE=bluedaisyma;13667571]Thanks for your thoughts and advice! I do have that book, so I will have to look at the section of the book. My concern would be if it affected my milk (I haven't even used yam cream bc of concerns about my milk) supply bc I have no plans on weaning any time soon, even if that meant no pregnancy.
yeah, i wondered about the "cycle without releasing an egg" but i was using the wondfo sticks and it showed I was o-ing, and I am also having ovulation symptoms every month- the egg-white mucus, etc. (I did NFP for years, so I am pretty in tune with what goes in my body). So, I can't not release an egg AND still ovulate, right? It's really confusing to me this time bc it is the 1st time I am actually TTC and also the 1st time I have had AF so early with EBF. [QUOTE]

The tests read hormone levels, and it is possible to have an increase in hormone levels w/out an egg release. the 28+ days that your body is building up a menstrual lining and everything it's also "ripening" an egg inside the ovary. If the Hormone levels are low through the month, no egg is prepared. Your Pituitary releases the hormone increase that signals ovulation, but no egg is ready, so either no egg is released, or the egg is immature and incapable of being fertilised. The whole symphony has to be in order for it to work. The disconnected system is good if you adopt a child and want to nurse... because you can get your milk flowing without having to give birth... BUT... its bad when you want to nurse and get pregnant. well, for some women. Some can nurse and get preg with no problems. lol... Anyway, HTH and good luck. We're 13 mos PP and no AF. At 2 years PP with DS, I still had no AF. 2 months later I found I was already 12 weeks preg... no O-ing and no AF, just suddenly expecting... May it be so easy for you.

Minimal, Communal, Earthy, Crafty Loving Single-Mama to C E : R and baby D
Sageac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:18 AM   #6
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

thank you for clarifying! I never knew that part, I just figured signs of ovulation at same time every month + period following same time= true ovulation with egg release. So another question. Is there any way to tell if I am releasing an egg? I mean, I wouldn't *mind* if this was normal and I might not get preg til he weans or whatevs, but if it's true, "nope, no more babies for you" then I need to grieve and move on, kwim? (and if I got a surprise when I was 50, that would be ok too )
Old 09-02-2011, 08:37 AM   #7
Ardenne
Registered Users
seller

The only way I know of to tell if you're releasing an egg is via ultrasound -- which is pretty expensive. A less expensive option might be doing an FSH test, which will give you an idea of whether your fertility is good or bad for your age -- you might want to call your doctor and ask about having blood drawn for that, if you're worried. Good luck!
Ardenne is offline   Reply With Quote