Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2011, 03:51 PM   #11
shortcake2386's Avatar
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Georgia
Posts: 26,069
My Mood:
Re: help! Any advice for an almost 4yo???

id take her every 30-60 minutes if you dont think its medical. my 3 year old(in undies since 12 months) just started pooping her panties last week, but its loose and just a tiny bit and we think it may be allergies, so i just keep lats of undies on hand(and made her some "special" ones with dark colored velour inners so i dont have to worrry about staining we had to teach my niece that her toys wouldnt walk away if she went potty(hard concept with 6 other kids in the house) but she still runs really fast and usually starts peeing before she is sitting down all the way good luck.

Advertisement

__________________
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:55 PM   #12
z1ggy23's Avatar
z1ggy23
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 6,974
My Mood:
Re: help! Any advice for an almost 4yo???

I think a lot of it is just regression given that we will be adding a new baby girl in the next couple of months. My mom reminded me that she had a really long stretch where she would only have little "didn't QUITE make it in time" accidents... the big ones where she literally lets it all out in her panties didn't start happening until after I got pregnant...

We tried 30 and she that was too close together for her and 50 was too long (especially if she didn't go on a trip to the potty, she would have an accident before the next time)... Now to convince her that she doesn't HAVE to wait for the timer to go off in order to go.
__________________
Brandilyn ~ Wife to C and WAHM to DD1 M (8/07), DS L (9/09), and DD2 E (9/11)
z1ggy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:28 AM   #13
earthmama73
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 4
Re: help! Any advice for an almost 4yo???

I am having a tough time with my son at night. I have to wake him up to go pee so he doesn't wet the bed!
earthmama73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:30 PM   #14
LadyatHome
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 11
Re: help! Any advice for an almost 4yo???

My daughter was almost 4 and didn't seem to care. She is very bright and I knew she could make it to the potty if she wanted to, she just didn't want to stop what she was doing. This is what worked for her and me. I realized that it is not my problem to solve. So I said, "This is not my problem. This is your problem. You are having accidents when you are not supposed to. You know what is expected of you. You can't ... (go to friends houses, classes, whatever) if you have potty accidents. I will help you any way I can. SO you think about it for a day or two. Maybe there's something you'd really like that I can get you when you're potty-trained. Whatever you think up, I'll help you, but this is your problem."

As I said, I knew my child had the mental abilities to process this kind of request. It seems like a lot to ask of a little kid and I wouldn't recommend it to everyone, but it may work for you.

The next day she said, "Okay, Mama, I thought about it. How about if I have no more accidents you can take me to Build-a-Bear and i can make a bear?" You got it!

A month later, with almost no accidents, we made a trip to Build-a-Bear.

Now, my second daughter was nearly the same age but a much different personality type. That approach didn't work at all for her. When she had an accident, she cried. So we were supportive and patient. She got it by 4.

Good luck. Remember, no one ever goes to college in diapers!
LadyatHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:28 PM   #15
z1ggy23's Avatar
z1ggy23
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 6,974
My Mood:
Re: help! Any advice for an almost 4yo???

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyatHome View Post
My daughter was almost 4 and didn't seem to care. She is very bright and I knew she could make it to the potty if she wanted to, she just didn't want to stop what she was doing. This is what worked for her and me. I realized that it is not my problem to solve. So I said, "This is not my problem. This is your problem. You are having accidents when you are not supposed to. You know what is expected of you. You can't ... (go to friends houses, classes, whatever) if you have potty accidents. I will help you any way I can. SO you think about it for a day or two. Maybe there's something you'd really like that I can get you when you're potty-trained. Whatever you think up, I'll help you, but this is your problem."

As I said, I knew my child had the mental abilities to process this kind of request. It seems like a lot to ask of a little kid and I wouldn't recommend it to everyone, but it may work for you.

The next day she said, "Okay, Mama, I thought about it. How about if I have no more accidents you can take me to Build-a-Bear and i can make a bear?" You got it!

A month later, with almost no accidents, we made a trip to Build-a-Bear.

Now, my second daughter was nearly the same age but a much different personality type. That approach didn't work at all for her. When she had an accident, she cried. So we were supportive and patient. She got it by 4.

Good luck. Remember, no one ever goes to college in diapers!
Thanks for the idea. It would either be perfect for her or will backfire horribly... but at this point I am going to talk to DH about it.

As soon as DD gets her "reward" she backslides...
__________________
Brandilyn ~ Wife to C and WAHM to DD1 M (8/07), DS L (9/09), and DD2 E (9/11)
z1ggy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:54 AM   #16
Havah's Avatar
Havah
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 2,207
My Mood:
Re: help! Any advice for an almost 4yo???

It sounds like you've gotten more feedback than I could give. We used the 3daypottytraining.com method with DS at 3 1/2. Took him 5 days (2 weeks to BM in the potty instead of after he fell asleep at night) but it worked. But I had him in diapers until nearly 44 months and then just yanked his crutches away. The real motivation for him was school. "No school until you're PL'd." That was really driving for him. I do still have to remind him to wipe, dress, flush, and wash his hands before he comes out, though ... that's getting annoying ...
We're 3-daying DD (22 months) right now. If she doesn't "click", I'm putting her back in dipes for a week to avoid starting bad habits.
Prayers that yours will get it before baby E arrives. Have you had her clean her own carpet and launder her clothes yet? We did that with DS, too. Got his attention ...
__________________
Jeanne, blessed wife to my best friend EJ , SAHM to
spectrum E 09/06, 06/08, Wyn 10/09, Rose 10/11 & River 03/14
Havah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:37 PM   #17
z1ggy23's Avatar
z1ggy23
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 6,974
My Mood:
Re: help! Any advice for an almost 4yo???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havah View Post
It sounds like you've gotten more feedback than I could give. We used the 3daypottytraining.com method with DS at 3 1/2. Took him 5 days (2 weeks to BM in the potty instead of after he fell asleep at night) but it worked. But I had him in diapers until nearly 44 months and then just yanked his crutches away. The real motivation for him was school. "No school until you're PL'd." That was really driving for him. I do still have to remind him to wipe, dress, flush, and wash his hands before he comes out, though ... that's getting annoying ...
We're 3-daying DD (22 months) right now. If she doesn't "click", I'm putting her back in dipes for a week to avoid starting bad habits.
Prayers that yours will get it before baby E arrives. Have you had her clean her own carpet and launder her clothes yet? We did that with DS, too. Got his attention ...
We did try the laundry thing (and would have done the carpet thing, but it never came to that), and she thought it was great fun (not the reaction I was hoping for)... I really don't know what to do at this point. She has to want to do it, and she just doesn't freaking care.

I am considering the 3-day for DS... He is showing signs of being ready... Maybe, if little brother gets PLed, then DD will get the picture
__________________
Brandilyn ~ Wife to C and WAHM to DD1 M (8/07), DS L (9/09), and DD2 E (9/11)

Last edited by z1ggy23; 09-03-2011 at 06:55 PM.
z1ggy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:25 PM   #18
momof2almost3
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Parma, Ohio
Posts: 175
Re: help! Any advice for an almost 4yo???

Hey mama. You know I am having the same problem with my daughter who is about 3.5 years old.

My cousin worked in a head start type school for 20 years and was in the transition room the whole time. Which is where the 3 year olds go that aren't potty trained. She said for kids like them it is best to have them change them self. Basically when your daughter has an accident hand her the new clothes and make her clean her self up and get dressed herself. It sounds like something stupid but it is helping with our stubborn daughter. Basically it takes longer for them to do all that so they get tired of taking the time away from having fun to do it and after awhile just stops. She said average time for her was always about a week before they caught on. Also if you rinse the clothes and undies before putting them in the hamper, have her rinse them as while. Hope this helps!!!!!!!
momof2almost3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:53 AM   #19
z1ggy23's Avatar
z1ggy23
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 6,974
My Mood:
Re: help! Any advice for an almost 4yo???

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2almost3 View Post
Hey mama. You know I am having the same problem with my daughter who is about 3.5 years old.

My cousin worked in a head start type school for 20 years and was in the transition room the whole time. Which is where the 3 year olds go that aren't potty trained. She said for kids like them it is best to have them change them self. Basically when your daughter has an accident hand her the new clothes and make her clean her self up and get dressed herself. It sounds like something stupid but it is helping with our stubborn daughter. Basically it takes longer for them to do all that so they get tired of taking the time away from having fun to do it and after awhile just stops. She said average time for her was always about a week before they caught on. Also if you rinse the clothes and undies before putting them in the hamper, have her rinse them as while. Hope this helps!!!!!!!
She does that anyway, but I can think of a few ways to apply this more rigorously that might help. Thanks
__________________
Brandilyn ~ Wife to C and WAHM to DD1 M (8/07), DS L (9/09), and DD2 E (9/11)
z1ggy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.