Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-05-2011, 01:56 PM   #11
tryin
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Moms with Weight Issues in PG?

I'm technically morbidly obese. I was just diagnosed with insulin resistance a week prior to finding out I was pg with my now 21mos old. I used Metformin throughout the pg and initially lost 10 lbs. I regained the 10 throughout the pg and gained 16lbs the last 2 wks due to blood pressure/water retention. I lost 20 about a week-2weeks after delivery.

I stopped taking the Metformin after I was told I no longer needed it. I had just lost 50lbs prior to finding out I'm pg again.. At my first appt at 6wks, the perinatologist said to start using insulin because my fasting numbers are not great although I'm still taking the Metformin. She said "they" are suggesting that all pg women not use Metformin and take insulin instead as risks are unknown. I haven't started the insulin yet, not sure how I feel about not taking the Met, My 21month is my first baby to be born at term. However, I guess I may have to take the insulin because my fasting numbers are not going down.

I am so hungry all the time, I'm sure my weight gain will be much higher this time.

Advertisement

Old 09-05-2011, 06:58 PM   #12
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Moms with Weight Issues in PG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasures From Elf View Post
I have PCOS and insulin resistance and I refused to go off my Metformin after I went off my Metformin with my last pregnancy and four days later, lost the baby.

I'm hoping to gain 0-12 pounds this pregnancy and so far I'm at 0 but I'm only 6 weeks so I have a long way to go.
I am 9 weeks and lost 5 pounds. So it can be done. I also lose babies when not on Metformin. I can stop at 16 weeks or later, but gain a million pounds after I do so. I literally feel as though I am starving, even with a full belly, due to not being able to process the sugar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryin View Post
I'm technically morbidly obese. I was just diagnosed with insulin resistance a week prior to finding out I was pg with my now 21mos old. I used Metformin throughout the pg and initially lost 10 lbs. I regained the 10 throughout the pg and gained 16lbs the last 2 wks due to blood pressure/water retention. I lost 20 about a week-2weeks after delivery.

I stopped taking the Metformin after I was told I no longer needed it. I had just lost 50lbs prior to finding out I'm pg again.. At my first appt at 6wks, the perinatologist said to start using insulin because my fasting numbers are not great although I'm still taking the Metformin. She said "they" are suggesting that all pg women not use Metformin and take insulin instead as risks are unknown. I haven't started the insulin yet, not sure how I feel about not taking the Met, My 21month is my first baby to be born at term. However, I guess I may have to take the insulin because my fasting numbers are not going down.

I am so hungry all the time, I'm sure my weight gain will be much higher this time.
The thing with PG is that you get even MORE insulin resistant when you are than when you are not. SO, it would make sense that since you already had issues prior to PG, they would be worse now. The risks are WELL KNOWN about Metformin and PG. It is used in PCOS and insulin resistant woman for a minimum of 12-16 weeks to reduce the risk of miscarriage. If you cannot deliver sufficient carbs to your growing baby, then you will lose it. I did that 6 times before they would test me for PCOS. Now they are showing that women who are still insulin resistant and/or get GD each PG can also stay on Metformin to allow for easy sugar uptake for the baby and lessent the craving for sugar and carbs in PG that leads to higher and unneeded weight gain.

Due to your fasting numbers, which may be weight related, isulin and Met together could be just the right combination that will allow you to feel satisified. You are not really hungry as much as your cells are starving for sugar to make ATP for fuel. With more insulin to allow transport of the sugar into your blood cells, you will then not have that "I need to eat" feeling.

For now, try ot eat good carbs, such as veggies and fruits. They are better for you and will still give you and your baby what you need. Do you see an endocrinologist? I tell you my regular doc and high risk OB really new diddly about PCOS, insulin resistance, and what meds are the best to help. The only side effect for the baby at birth may be low blood sugar, so a nice bottle of sugar water may be needed. To have a healthy, full term PG, without gaining too much - that is a great price to pay in my book.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote