Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-06-2011, 10:35 AM   #11
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Are bigger prefolds more absorbent? And what do you think of this fit?

too small did he hav a cover on? even with a thinner smaller diaper I'd not expect leaking through a proper cover though.

Advertisement

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:46 AM   #12
faiths13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
It actually looks ok to me. Browns will be quite big still, but for snappi'ing on, you will need the absorbency. Im surprised he can saturate those so quickly - my heavy wetting 21 month old can use a med of trifolded . Maybe it was a fluke?

Sent from my DROIDX using DS Forum
Old 09-06-2011, 11:02 AM   #13
decembercat9
Registered Users
seller

Yup, he was wearing Swaddlebees wool interlock covers, soaked through two of 'em. I was surprised too! We've been doing diaper free time at home and he'll pee maybe 3-4 times in an hour? Doesn't seem like a huge quantity at any one time, but I guess it adds up.

Quote:
I would try bikini twist or add a doubler when trifolding before sizing up. Unless you get premiums (4x8x4), the increase in absorbency from the couple inches on the edges in the next size isn't going to do much.
See, this is what I was afraid of.... that upsizing may not solve the problem... Hmm... I'm unfamiliar with brands other than Cloth-eeze / Green Mountain. What's a good brand to look for if I want premiums?
Old 09-06-2011, 11:25 AM   #14
ho11yb
Registered Users
seller

I think the red look fine. Getting a little shorter, but I'd still use them. The browns are huge & really bulky looking on my 26lber. I'd likely just try adding a doubler or something. It could be a fluke too if your ds had just drank a lot of water or something. I know ds can hold his pee a lot longer than he used to, but when he goes he goes a lot more.

Blame the typos on the iPad!
ho11yb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:43 AM   #15
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by decembercat9 View Post
Yup, he was wearing Swaddlebees wool interlock covers, soaked through two of 'em. I was surprised too! We've been doing diaper free time at home and he'll pee maybe 3-4 times in an hour? Doesn't seem like a huge quantity at any one time, but I guess it adds up.

See, this is what I was afraid of.... that upsizing may not solve the problem... Hmm... I'm unfamiliar with brands other than Cloth-eeze / Green Mountain. What's a good brand to look for if I want premiums?
I got mine from Nicki's Diapers, but they don't have the Chinese DSQs anymore and I'm not sure whether their Imagine Indian prefolds are worse/equal/better. They do come in premium, though, and the size is narrower but longer than the GMD browns. Another thing to try is padfolding crosswise vs trifolding. Then you get three times the thickness in the thickest part, instead of just adding the thinner sides to the thicker middle. I even roll up a premium (approx 4 times over) for nighttime if I get behind on laundry and need a night diaper fast. That makes 32 layers!

As far as quantity, DD definitely pees alot more (often and volume-wise) than "normal," whatever that means :shrug: Just keep changing him as soon as you notice - I focus on how easy it will be to PL since she never gets used to being wet

I'd also re-lanolize your covers - wool interlock should be pretty bulletproof even with heavy wetting. I've only had leaks through wool when the diaper underneath was too thin and I hadn't lanolized recently.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:53 AM   #16
ReadingRenee
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think the reds look fine too although adding a doubler to the reds might make them even smaller... But the brown edges are just now beginning to fit my 30 lb 27 month old. I had to fold them down just like a premium for months after I started using them.

I do find that my browns are a little more absorbent than my reds. I use my browns for naptime and the reds for awake daytime.

eta: My fav premiums are both the ones I have gotten from cotton babies. The indian unbleached, and the Chinese unbleached. The chinese are wider and shorter but fluffier, and the indian are narrower, longer and trimmer.

Last edited by ReadingRenee; 09-06-2011 at 11:55 AM.
ReadingRenee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:57 PM   #17
*LizziesLoops*
Registered Users
Formerly: angelami4
seller
seller

My Mood:

I use Premium PF's with my DD (long and thin) and the 10m old I babysit (super chunky girl). The 10m old wets a lot more than my DD and the premiums hold up really well. I fold down in the back to adjust the rise and then wrap and snappi as normal so that they fit. It works really well for us. GMD also has hemp doublers that are awesome and very absorbent. I use them in our night time diapers. I would say definitely size up out of the reds and either get the GMD browns or some regular premiums.
~Amy Eddie: Heather (1/7/2007), Mikayla (11/4/2009), an angel baby (3/29/11), and Michael Edward(3/22/12) We are now expecting baby #4 in January 2014!!!

*LizziesLoops* is offline   Reply With Quote