Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-22-2011, 02:39 PM   #11
cherrycoke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: duration of pump session?

I was going to post the link if nobody else did, that video helped me a lot! Compressions also help me make the most of my pumping time. I pump until the flow slows down, but I also massage and do the compressions throughout, so even after the flow completely stops, I wait for a bit so my body gets the signal to make more. All in all, I probably pump for about 10-15 minutes after setup. I do massage my nipples/areola before I start pumping and have noticed that it encourages a letdown much sooner than not massaging.

Advertisement

Last edited by cherrycoke; 08-22-2011 at 02:39 PM. Reason: grammar
cherrycoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:48 PM   #12
alisonsjulejb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i always seem to get more flow when i pump both sides at the same time...
alisonsjulejb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:01 PM   #13
leeleeche
Registered Users

Can you massage your nipples 10 minutes before you pump? This would encourage a natural let down. Also, how long does it take to feed? If the baby can feed in 20 minutes than you are probably not getting enough suction from the pump.
leeleeche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:25 PM   #14
thtr4me
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have different letdown speeds on each side. My left side lets down hard and fast and is usually done in less than 10 minutes. My right side lets down so much slower, and goes and goes and goes. I do compressions on that side almost the whole time I am pumping, but cannot get it to speed up. I also get MUCH less out of the right side. Left side is Niagra Falls, right side is a dripping faucet!
thtr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:07 AM   #15
Qylie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My let downs are totally different too! My pumping session is about 30 minutes because my left side takes longer to let down. If i pump for only 10 or 15 minutes i get 4oz if I pump for 20-30 I get 11oz. I tried compressions to make it faster but it doesn't make the pumping session shorter I just more milk on the tail end.
Qylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:13 PM   #16
thtr4me
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Okay, wow, 11oz in 20-30 minutes? Amazing supply mama! Keep up the good work, and if your freezer overflows, please check out Human Milk for Human Babies on FB. There are always mamas in need of milk over there.
thtr4me is offline   Reply With Quote