Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-08-2011, 08:36 AM   #11
Lanasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Refuses to BF?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
I'm sorry your having so much trouble with breast feeding. My suggestion is to switch him to cup or syringe feeding. Pump enough to get the milk to let down before attempting to breast feed him.Then when he is calm and happy let him try to latch on but at the same time put a syringe in the corner of his mouth so he is getting some reward for his troubles. As soon as he starts getting too upset I would stop for the moment. You want him to associate breast feeding with pleasant feelings. Keep trying most babies do eventually get the idea. But if he doesn't, remember you did your best for him and gave him breast milk for as long as you could.
I agree with this. I have never had an easy time nursing, but I'm am still nursing at least 1X per day with my 16 month old. My DD was a lot like yours but I didn't have this kind of knowledge so I gave her bottles b/c she was hungry. My nursing relationship ended with her when she was just 4 months old. It IS hard work mama, but if you want it to be it can be rewarding. You have to weigh what is best for you!

Advertisement

Old 09-08-2011, 07:02 PM   #12
Jasmine_tea
Registered Users
seller

Re: Refuses to BF?!?

Mine was depressing for 6-8 weeks. My sore nipple didn't go away until week 10.
My boy was born tounge tight. Make sure yours doesn't have this problem. They practice suction in utero.
Was your little one given a bottle within the 1st 24 hours after birth? My lactation consultant told me, if that is the case, the bf success rate gets a lot lower. A friend of mine experienced a situation like yours, she held onto it and just wouldn't give him a bottle. Eventually, he took the breast fine. If you supply with bottle, afraid he would be hungry, then he would go the easier route.
Jasmine_tea is offline   Reply With Quote