Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-08-2011, 08:05 AM   #11
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: When is enough enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessnic View Post
DS is two months old today, and I think we are done breastfeeding. I have tried mothers milk tea, fenugreek, blessed thistle, more,milk plus, and reglan trying to keep an adequate supply. DS had a severe lip and tongue tie we had fixed at six weeks. My nipples still have not healed for the amount of trauma he did. He nurses every hour and a half during the day for 45 minutes to an hour, then requires supplement. At night he goes 3 hours. I thought the tongue tie repair would improve things, we even went four days with no supplements, only to have my period return and tank my supply. DH is supportive, but he works 12-16 hour days and is only with us an hour tops during the week. DS barely has time to play during the day because his day is spent trying to get enough to eat. I am at the point where all I feel like to my son is a dairy cow. I can't run errands because halfway through the grocery store he is screaming to nurse. I wish I could just nurse part time but I know that isn't physically possible. If I miss a dose of supplements within an hour or two my milk is virtually gone. DS is so frustrated at the breast, I am frustrated and at my wits ends. Am I wrong to think that switching him to formula would allow me to function a lot better, and let me be a better mother and a wife to my family?
you are not wrong.

it sounds like enough is enough right now.

Advertisement

Old 09-08-2011, 09:55 AM   #12
hokoonchi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulamomma View Post
Are you just assuming you are not making enough milk because of his frequent nursing? Nursing tons doesn't mean you are not making enough milk if he is having plenty of wet and dirty diapers.
Sounds like she is sure.......

Mama you are right. Formula feeding is the right decision here, and you are not doing your baby harm. He can thrive on formula, and it's likely he will.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:00 AM   #13
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

One thing I would suggest is to do some research on soy formula if you're even thinking of using it (most babies don't need it, though! ). There's some controversy on it right now, and some groups say it may not be as safe as we think it is. If baby has allergies, there are gentle formulas with partially digested lactose for sensitivity, and hydrolized formulas that are milk based but with all the milk allergens removed. Just a heads up on that. But there's nothing wrong with FF if that's what you feel like you have to do. Good luck!
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:52 AM   #14
jessnic
Registered Users
seller
seller

When I nursed him exclusively he started showing signs of dehydration and low diaper counts, and screamed anytime he was not attached to the breast. So I know for sure my supply is not enough even when taking supplements to keep it higher.

I am lucky, DS loves some similac advance. He has no problem with bottles, and when my milk is entirely gone I think he will be just fine. So he gets whatever I can naturally produce, and he gets mostly formula, and for us that is the best decision

Last edited by jessnic; 09-08-2011 at 10:56 AM.
jessnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:09 PM   #15
thtr4me
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Jessnic, so so sorry you are going through this. It sounds like you are doing what is best for you and your baby in your situation. I want to encourage you to continue putting baby to the breast. It may not meet all of the nutritive needs, it can be so comforting for your wee one to suckle at the breast. You are doing a great job mama, keep up the good work.
thtr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:09 AM   #16
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

If he likes the Similac Advance, I believe it is virtually identical to the BJ's store brand at a significantly cheaper price. My DD liked it b/c it was less frothy than the name-brand stuff. Anyway, I know you're doing what's good & healthy for you & your DS; it's the right choice.

For everybody struggling w/ formula stains: the powder detergent for the dishwasher breaks down the proteins in formula, getting the stains out. I got out 2 y.o., washed in formula spit-up stains (hand-me-downs from SIL) w/ a soak in Cascade & HOT water & did an additional soak in OxyClean & HOT water to brighten them up...good as new!
Old 09-09-2011, 11:19 AM   #17
Sha-nanagins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessnic View Post
DS is so frustrated at the breast, I am frustrated and at my wits ends. Am I wrong to think that switching him to formula would allow me to function a lot better, and let me be a better mother and a wife to my family?
We went through a similar experience, Mama. For a variety of reasons, DS was just not getting enough - week in NICU, 2 months of 3x/week medical appointment/treatments, too sleepy to nurse, supply issues, then not gaining weight, then milk allergy, etc.. I spent the first 3 months of his life in tears trying to get to EBF. Even though it was hard, I finally switched the approach - bottle of formula for food, nurse for comfort. It was the decision we needed - I got more sleep, was less stressed, and began to actually enjoy my baby.

I still feel guilty sometimes and try not to play the "what if?" game. But the reality was that switching to formula was the right decision for us. I did not somehow "fail" my baby by giving him formula. And, for what it's worth, DS is a happy, healthy toddler who will be 2 this weekend. The bottles of formula are long gone, but he still cuddles up to nurse a few times a day.

Sha-nanagins is offline   Reply With Quote