Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-16-2011, 09:14 PM   #1
mkrisel
Registered Users

Not sure if she's ready

My dd is 18 months old. I don't think she is ready to potty train, but maybe for poop. She know when she is pooping and is pretty regular. She does not have dry diapers consistently for long periods. She sometimes asks to get her diaper changed when it is wet. But she gets horrible rashes (think blisters-we know some foods that cause it but other times it seems random) from her poop and HATES getting wiped clean because it hurts. So, should we casually start introducing a potty when she gets up (poops within 30 mins of getting up) and let her take the lead? Or is she not ready? I don't want to push her, and I don't want to stretch the process out forever.
She is our first, so we have never been through this. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

mkrisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:32 PM   #2
mkrisel
Registered Users

And I forgot she is interested is us going to the bathroom and says "pee" or "poop" when we are going. She also knows that pee and poop go in the toilet.
mkrisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:26 AM   #3
mama_to_DJM
Registered Users

Re: Not sure if she's ready

In my opinion? It can't hurt to try. We started introducing a potty seat to all of our kids as they approached 2. They weren't interested in it yet, but we kept it in the bathroom anyway. If they wanted to sit on it, great, if not, we'd leave it alone. None of mine were ready until 2 1/2 to 3, but some kids do seem to get it sooner. Good luck!

My cooking blog- http://michellesnewrecipes.blogspot.com/
mama_to_DJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:30 PM   #4
jjgm
Registered Users

I would say take her to the potty if she initiates but it wouldn't be worth it to all-out potty train yet, because it would probably still mean lots of accidents and taking her to the bathroom on the hour, so probably more work for you than it will be in a few more months
jjgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:55 PM   #5
coquelicot
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_to_DJM View Post
In my opinion? It can't hurt to try. We started introducing a potty seat to all of our kids as they approached 2. They weren't interested in it yet, but we kept it in the bathroom anyway. If they wanted to sit on it, great, if not, we'd leave it alone.
This. We introduced it to DD when she was about 18 months, though, just to get her comfortable with it. She'd sit on it and brush her teeth, put her toys inside there, watch a PTing DVD while sitting on it, etc. Doesn't hurt to let her experiment with one and see what happens. FWIW, DD was day-trained by the time she was 2 1/2.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:28 PM   #6
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sorry about the rashes

I don't think having dry diapers for a long period of time is a sign of readiness.

I would definitely try to encourage her to use the potty! Doesn't even have to be just a potty though (lots of babies like to stand to go )
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:03 PM   #7
Havah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

OP: your DD sounds like mine (right down to the painful contact rashes)! If you know when she's pooping and she'll stay relaxed enough to complete it on the potty, I'd say go with your plan. I just concur with the others about "no pressure" on anything. We used the 3-day method with DS at 3 1/2 (he's on the autism spectrum, so he never showed interest) and it worked. The author says it's prime for 20-22 month olds, so we're tryng with DD at 22 months ... well, this weekend. DD had been telling me "diaper" over half the time, about a minute before she went. All this showed abruptly at about 20 months. You'll be amazed at how quickly she leaps.

Sadly, my DD doesn't seem ready to go full-time and I'm trying to decide how to proceed. Can't keep up the cold-turkey pressure past today but she doesn't seem interested in returning to dipes either
Old 09-09-2011, 11:43 AM   #8
huntmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

3 day was great for us with 33 month old and has worked well with 23 month old. They actually have reacted exactly the same way just in age appropriate time.

I would say to wait a little longer and consider exactly what does potty learned mean to you.

For my 33 month old, after 3 days, she just went and I did little to no work. For the 23 month old, I still have to help her onto the big potty in most cases unless she gets totally naked (which she does most of the time unless she is wearing shoes) and then she needs help getting redressed. I do not consider her potty learned all the way yet.