Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-31-2011, 04:11 PM   #1
nursemama23
Registered Users
seller
seller

Sleep ( or lack thereof)

For you mamas of preemies, when did they start to sleep well at night? My 32 weeker is almost 7 weeks, trouble staying asleep at night. My full term babies varied in sleep patterns but wasn't sure if preemie status hindered sleep further. Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 07-31-2011, 06:54 PM   #2
Belle1002
Registered Users

My Mood:
My twins (born at 32 weeks) slept through the night around 11 weeks. Both needed to be swaddled to stay asleep until about 4'or 5 months. Hang in there!

Loving life with our very energetic 2 year old b/g twins!
Belle1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:50 AM   #3
momineer
Registered Users
seller

Re: Sleep ( or lack thereof)

I don't think being a preemie has any effect on how well they sleep. All babies are different. Our 30-weeker didn't sleep through the night until about 7-8 months. Even now, at 10 months, he still fusses a little at night (but without actually waking up or needing a bottle). Swaddling does help a lot, as pp said.
momineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:44 AM   #4
Chagen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 32 weeker is now 14 months old and still doesn't sleep through the night. He is up nursing every 2 to 4 hours all night long and I am exhausted! My term babies were crappie sleepers too just not as extrema as this little guy, he is anti napping too- he just doesn't sleep really.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:38 PM   #5
alisha_roseleip
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My 34 Weeker still does not sleep through the night at almost 9 months. If you are bf'ing you need to look at the effect swaddling can have and also how it effects hip development. Our PT said it was one of the worst things Americans do to their babies for development because it forces the legs straight.
It is not out of meanness or rudeness but it is not yours unless you ask for paypal address or you ask me to hold it for you because we are working on a deal. Asking for more pics does not mean we are in the middle of a deal
alisha_roseleip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:27 PM   #6
FerventlyDreaming
Registered Users
seller

My DS was a 35 weeker and he did not sleep well at all. He had to have lights and sounds at night for the first few months. He also had to be swaddled. I was able to shut the lights off at a few months and stopped swaddling him around 7 months. He still uses a sound machine. I thought especially the light issue was from the nicu with all the lights for those first five days. He just got used to it. He was a terrible sleeper until he was about a year though. I dont know if it had everything to do with being early but I know it didn't help things.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:47 PM   #7
nursemama23
Registered Users
seller
seller

Just thought I'd update...DD is now 11 weeks, and still not sleeping unless it's co-sleeping touching me and even then it's restless, fussy sleep. I just started eliminating dairy from my diet as we are pretty sure she has a dairy intolerance/sensitivity (dd2 did as well). Also dealing with some reflux. I'm exhausted and not looking forward to going back to work next week. We had a few days a week ago where she slept (I had had limited dairy for the prior week), it was fabulous! She was such a happy baby and I was a happy momma!
Old 09-10-2011, 03:03 PM   #8
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

My preemie sweetie craved skin contact. Even when we got her in her bed at night, she didn't start napping in her crib til 9 months! She was 31 weeks and sleeping 8-9 hours at 7 months, but was on formula.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote