Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 09-08-2011, 07:44 AM   #1
Registered Users
Formerly: CDN Mama of 4_08
older ameda?

Looking to buy an ameda purely yours as my baby will be in the NICU for a few weeks...saw one locally that has only been used a couple times, still in the box but it's 7 years old (the blue box). Is this model the same as the one out now? I'm just wondering if its been stored for a while how the motor etc would be and worry if it wasn't sterilized/cleaned beforehand how much build-up has accumulated inside of the pump in that it worth the purchase? She wants $50 for it.

Proud Stay-at-home-mama to 6 (including 4 preemies 29-35 weeks); who enjoys reading, homeschooling/unschooling and trying to make everyday as stress-free as possible for my 2 precious sons with Autism
CDNMommyofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:06 AM   #2
Registered Users
Re: older ameda?

If it's only been used a couple of times, I'd say that is a great deal. Just make sure to plug it up and make sure it works before purchasing. Ameda pumps are closed-system, so there is not any build up inside the pump (and if it were an open-system pump, there is no way to clean the inside of it anyway).
bcb1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:25 AM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

look around. the ameda pumps are what WIC gives (around here) and I am constantly seeing them for under $50 brand new or barely used. check ebay and craigslist and you may get a better price for a newer one.
I'm Jami...mama to DS (Jude 8/14/08) and DDs Lyla (9/21/10) and violet (5/8/12).;and wife to Adam, high school sweetheart & soul mate.
jamilynn84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:08 AM   #4
Registered Users

When my Ameda went on the fritz and I needed a replacement ASAP, I got a used one off Craigslist. I got it for like $20. It is certainly older than mine was, and it did look different. I felt okay about it because it was a closed system pump, and I already had all of my own attachments. But I did feel that the motor didn't pull as strongly. I ended up figuring out that what was wrong with mine was just the power cord, so I just swapped the cords and used my pump and felt that it worked better (better suction). So, I might be wary of getting an old pump. Even if it "works", it may not work optimally.

For a NICU baby, I would recommend looking into renting a hospital grade pump.
-Alicia, mommy to
Munchkin (5/19/06) and Sweets (4/25/09)
CEVmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:29 PM   #5
Registered Users

That's about how much I paid for a new Ameda Purely Yours 5 yrs ago. I don't know how the new ones are, but I hated it. I could get more milk from my manual Medela Harmony than I could from the Ameda.
Ivy - 6, Lily - 3, Max - 1.5.
Proud wife of an Air Force Bomb Squad Tech
My Homeschooling/Girl Scout Blog
Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:37 PM   #6
Registered Users
My Mood:

I have an Ameda Purely Yours and it works fine for me. I got it from WIC 4.5 years ago (it has a blue box), but I have been fortunate enough to stay home with both of my babies so it was not used extensively. It does not have all of the bells and whistles of a Medela, but it is a good strong pump. Mine was packed away for 3.5 years and when I took it back out for baby #2, it works as good as ever. You will have to buy a new accessory kit to replace all parts milk has touched, but no breastmilk runs through the tubing or anything.

I agree with the previous poster who suggested renting a hospital grade pump in the beginning for a NICU baby. I think the Purely Yours will work in the future though.
Charrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:31 PM   #7
Registered Users

I have a 8+ yr oldpump that was barely used... I used it to get my supply up and going since I am a eper...I went ahead and rent a hospital grade pump once I became a eper... The strain was too much for just 1 pump... I went back to work and using the purely yours and noticed it just didn't get the same amount off milk.. So I had my lc test its suction... It was below 50% suction... But I will say I used it alot and built a good supply with it even with it at that level... Needless to say I bought a new pump for work and it now stays in my car
Br2me is offline   Reply With Quote