Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-11-2011, 09:49 PM   #11
Chessie
Registered Users
seller

Re: Nipple shields? And when does the pain go away?

I highly recommend the Medela Gel Pads, to help you heal. Sounds like he's not taking enough in his mouth. If you want to teach him to use the shield you can put a couple drops of your milk in the shield and then touch under his chin to get him to suck. I had to teach mine to use one because she couldn't latch onto my one side that is inverted. Not to worry by three months you can get rid of the shield when their mouth is bigger. Another trick is to hold you hand u shaped but cupping under your breast and squeeze further back to make the nipple area stretched out and wider so that he's forced to have to take in more. Hope that makes sense and helps.

Advertisement

Old 09-12-2011, 10:44 AM   #12
A&M'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chessie
I highly recommend the Medela Gel Pads, to help you heal. Sounds like he's not taking enough in his mouth. If you want to teach him to use the shield you can put a couple drops of your milk in the shield and then touch under his chin to get him to suck. I had to teach mine to use one because she couldn't latch onto my one side that is inverted. Not to worry by three months you can get rid of the shield when their mouth is bigger. Another trick is to hold you hand u shaped but cupping under your breast and squeeze further back to make the nipple area stretched out and wider so that he's forced to have to take in more. Hope that makes sense and helps.
Yeah the lansinoh soothies were a blessing for me. They really helped. Once I started using those and we had a proper latch my nipples healed in 3-4 days...
A&M'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:12 PM   #13
Emma
Registered Users
seller

Re: Nipple shields? And when does the pain go away?

I have the Lansinoh soothies. I love those things! The pain is mostly gone. Now I just want to know when the cracks will finally heal.
Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:06 PM   #14
lolis
Registered Users

My Mood:
Talking Re: Nipple shields? And when does the pain go away?

I used nipple shields for about a week, your nipples will heal before you even know. I don't know how strong to emphasize this but:

****Use lanolin on your nipples and on the nipple shield when you pump. Smear a ton of it all over, it makes pumping waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy less painful. I don't know if you already know this or not, nobody told me.*****

I pumped till I healed, you'll make it!
lolis is offline   Reply With Quote